1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non UK resident, how can I assess progress in English?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by the hippo, Oct 26, 2011.

1. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hmm. Most international schools have exams of various kinds, usually at the end of the term. I am currently teaching a Year 5 class of 9 and 10 year olds, so I suppose that your daughter would be in Year 6. My present school in Doha uses something fairly horrible called Rising Stars. These exams will then generate National Curriculum levels in Science, Mathematics and English. These NC levels can then be compared with the levels a child in the UK would be expected to be achieving.
    However, you have written that you are interested in your daughter's progress "...as a native speaker" and therefore perhaps you are also interested in her proficiency in spoken English as well. Unfortunately the Rising Stars tests ( and other similar tests) do not have a spoken component.
    My guess would be that a PYP school would not be able to tell you very much about your daughter's progress, as the PYP and the English National Curriculum are rather different.
    I hope this is helpful.

2. See my reply on English.
    (She´s in a bilingual school in Spain Hippo)