1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non teaching partner

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by rosiestrudwick, Nov 20, 2011.

1. I know that this has been the subject of previous messages, and I have read through them, however I would still like to see if there is any more advise that can be given. My partner and I are very keen to move, and for me to teach abroad. We have the problem that I think many others have - I am a teacher, he is not. He currently works as a buyer for a construction firm, although he has no particular desire to stay within that area. He is more than willing to train to teach English, however he doesn't have a degree which I think can be a sticking point. I am currently researching school's that are advertising and am ready to apply to a few. Before I do am hoping for advise on the best way to present the situation to potential employers, the most likely countries to accept me on these grounds and the likelihood that this will affect my chances accross the board. If we are able to live initially on one salary then we would, however I'm sure that school's do not see this as a positive thing. I'd love to hear from anyone who has been in this position whether with a good or bad outcome!
    Many thanks.

2. Surely you apply for a job on your own merits, and what your partner is doing does not come into it? It's up to you to decide if you can afford to live on one salary.

Don't want to be nit picking, but when making applications, make sure you check spelling and grammar carefully - advice (noun), advise (verb). You don't need an apostrophe to make a word plural - schools not school's.

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I was thinking the same.

4. From what I have been told previously, this can be an issue - if this is really not the case then that would be great to hear. Many schools do seem to specify either single teachers or teaching couples.
    In terms of spelling and grammar mentioned in the previous reply, I clearly carefully read through an application letter when I may not check a post on a forum. I'm not sure that making me feel silly for a mistake which was in no way relevant to my post is particulary helpful. I have never posted on here before for that very reason and am hoping for genuinely helpful comments from people who have been in this position.

5. Applying overseas with a dependent clearly is an issue for many international schools, as schools have to give larger accomodation, flights, sort out visas etc. I know many couples in your situation in the Middle East who have their non-teaching spouse working as librarians, learning support assistants in the school & so on. I think the Middle East will be more sympathetic to your situation. The best thing to do would be to be upfront about the situation, many organisations such as Search Associates will ask you outright how many dependents you have as realistically it does affect your chances of landing a job. I would try joining them as they can give you decent advice about how best to handle the situation. Good luck! And don't worry about the grammatical mistakes, my emails or posts are littered with them after a hard day at school & a glass of wine or 2!

6. However some schools in the Middle East wouldn't be happy with an unmarried couple living together. I know some cases where unmarried couples do live together though so it's worth trying :)

7. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

We've had quite a run of brilliant and hard-working women who have kept house-husbands sitting at home or doing infrequent odd-jobs. Many female teachers seem to fall for the nice, jolly, thick-or-dyslexic occasional builder, painter, electrician dude who enjoys Rugby on TV at the ex-pat drinking dens and when piqued by a need for wider horizons gets himself a new tattoo.
    Whether this makes financial sense depends on how the couple want to arrange their lifestyle, and whether they have any little bunnies to bring up.
    'Trailing' female spouses tend to complain that their career and their intellectual and social aspirations have been curtailed by following in the wake of their male partner.
    I never seem to hear such complaints from the house-boys condemned to pass their hours walking the dog or the toddler on the beach, or cooking the lunchtime pasta, while the lady spends an exhausting day with Year Four...

8. Many thanks for your helpful advice. I will certainly look at Search Associates. The main thing I want to know is if we are wasting our time even looking or if there is a real possibility for us out there. Fingers crossed, time to get applying!

9. SMT dude...
    I'm not quite sure how to take your message! I'm a little concerned you may be thinking my nice, jolly builder partner is 'thick-or-dyslexic'. It seems a bit of a generalisation really. I have 'fallen for him' but he's certainly intelligent - intelligent enought to realise he could get on in life just as well without a degree. Mind you, he is now studying for said degree in his free (?) time after a long day for his own interest.
    I hope I have misread your message and apologies if so. He is very much hoping to work abroad, and should the situation become such that he can't find a job, he would certainly be volunteering in some way. There's no way he could cope with life as a 'house-boy'.