1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non-teaching job offer...What to do?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by 85Teacher2010, Dec 4, 2019.

1. 85Teacher2010

85Teacher2010 New commenter

I could really do with some advice outside of my family and friends. I’ve been offered a role, outside of teaching but still tied in with education. Obviously I wanted as I applied and went to the interview.
    But now it’s come to an actual decision I don’t know what to do and it’s making me quite stressed. Do I take the job knowing it’s a 50% drop from UPS, yes work life balance would be better and less pay less stress but it’s a sticking point. I would also only get 5 weeks holidays and as I will still be working in a school (consultant role) I’d be expected to have the time off in the school breaks. I’d have a year on a very low wage as I’d be training but this would increase slightly each year. There’s lots of chances for progression I’m told, which is great as I’m not developing in my role (schools not great with career development!). My husband says he’s supportive but now it’s come to it having nearly a 1k drop in our household income I’m not sure he’s convinced, especially as we were hoping to start a family soon. He says I’d be wasted and not challenged but I think I’ll love the change and all that comes with it...really confused and I need to make the decision soon. Any thoughts, positive or negative?

2. Teacherofscienze

Teacherofscienze New commenter

Depends on your reason for applying in the first place I'd say. Did you hope to be able to take holiday outside of term time? Were you more drawn to not having to work at silly o'clock in the morning/evening in order to be ready for 9am? Is it the type of work that you think you'll enjoy more?

As someone who has changed career once and found it a massive error, returned and now thinking again of a change a few years later as a middle leader, I found that the experience hasn't hurt my trajectory in teaching as I've been able to explain why I've changed course in a reasonable way (I'm aware being a scientist also hasn't hurt!).

As for money, provided you can cover your outgoings, you tend to adapt to whatever you're bringing in don't you? Having a properly balanced quality of life is better than a few hundred quid in my book.

ViolaClef, Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Try using some decision making tools, like SWOT or even pro/con. You'll find them surprisingly helpful.

ViolaClef and agathamorse like this.
  4. drvs

drvs Star commenter

You want to start a family soon - does your current role give you time and space to parent effectively? Many of my colleagues complain that they are neglecting their own children for the benefit of their students - it doesn't sit well with them.

Your family know you and how your current job is affecting you - it would be unwise to discount their views.

Bottom line - it's not hard to get a teaching job unless you're rubbish. If you went for this new role and it didn't work out, you could return to teaching. If you don't go for it, will you regret it every time the brown hits the fan at school?

Shedman and agathamorse like this.
  5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

What DRVS says,

6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

a non teaching role?

I'll give you a million pounds for it!

7. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Only 1K drop? After tax this means how much? However, you may incur additional travel costs if you are at the place of work more than a teacher's role needs. Also, potentially more childcare costs IF you intend to continue working after children. Look at how many teaching jobs are advertised within a reasonable commute so that if you take the job and then decide to return to teaching, how easy would it be to get a new job? Def a case for a pros/cons list.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Given they also say a 50% drop from UPS, I'm guessing this is per month.
    I wouldn't do it, certainly not if wanting to start a family soon.
    You wouldn't get enhanced maternity pay and so on either if you are with a new employer.

9. 85Teacher2010

85Teacher2010 New commenter

Sorry should have been more clear- it's about that a month.

I would get entitlement during the first year it would be 6 weeks at 90% & 33 weeks of stat pay, then after a year it would 6 weeks at 90%, & 12 weeks at 50% then 33 weeks stat (this is similar to what I would get now). It's also flexible working hours, time owed in lieu is given and I would start at 26 days hol (plus 10.5 days off for bank holidays), less than a teacher but out term time holidays would be a bonus. After 6 months I would get a pay increase, then once qualified in a year I would be on more, with the possibilities of bonuses and promotion & yearly pay rises. I know I want to leave but the thought of it is scary now I'm faced with this decision!!

10. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Do it. If you don't try, you'll never know. I quit the UK to move to China and I really enjoy it. If I hadn't have tried then I wouldn't know and would still be bored in the UK.

Bsmart19 and agathamorse like this.