1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

non teaching job offer. Shall I take it?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by musikteech, Mar 21, 2016.

1. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

I have been out of teaching since 2012 and have been trying to get a job again abroad teaching. Nothing was happening and I have been unsuccessful in 2 or 3 interviews so far. I put an ad on a free website for the UAE saying English teacher seeks any work in the UAE and I was contacted by a UK-registered LTD company who deal in metals or something offering me work mainly in admin in the UAE. They want me to work part time for a few days meeting some guests from Asia, setting up meeting rooms at first. Then in April, there is administrative work out in the UAE with a salary from 10000AED to 25000AED plus studio accommodation in Dubai.

I looked up the company;s info on companies house and it says they were incorporated in 2015 with £100,000
    Do you think it is safe to assume this company is well off enough to pay those salaries in UAE? Should I take up the offer if offered it? Thanks

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

You would do better to find out who the company directors are and search their individual histories to get a better idea of whether they can be trusted.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Sounds a bit dodgy but I'm a very cautious person. Do plenty of checks.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Are you female?
    What might they have understood from an adverting saying that you are seeking any work?
    They want you to meet some Asian guests (in the UK?) and set up rooms. Why would they ask someone they've never met (or were you interviewed in person?) to do something like that? How can you be sure of your safety meeting these guests?

5. musikteech

I'm actually male. Yes at first it is going to be part time work in the UK in London. No, I haven;t been interviewed by them yet but they said they can introduce me to everyone at the meeting in London. i don't really have a safety issue, I just wonder why they chose to answer my ad instead of advertising a specific job on Reed or a job site. Do you think it's because I;m a teacher and so they feel i have a good standard of education (PGCE)?

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

It seems a bit odd that you've just been given a job with no interview or anything and then you're expected to move to another country very soon.
    If something seems too good to be true, it usually is...

7. musikteech

They're a UK company though, not Chinese or somewhere like that. Can they afford to pay those salaries if they only have £100,000 in the bank? They said the reason they need someone to work part time in London for a few days is because most of their staff are working abroad in south america

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

What you've gleaned from Companies House is telling you nothing. My guess would be you are looking at the amount of share capital that was invested, because a company that was formed in 2015 is unlikely to have published its accounts yet and even if they had done, the money in the bank needs to be interpreted in the context of the rest of the accounts. The accounts are merely a snapshot of the trading position at the time the accounts were drawn up. Closer analysis of the assets and liabilities tells you a lot more.

In other words, the £100K in the bank could be wiped out the day after the accounts were drawn up if they paid a £100K of debt off the following day. Or they might find themselves with £1m in the bank if their debtors paid their bills the next day.

You are right in doing your research, but you have to be sure you know what you're looking at, because numbers taken in isolation are meaningless.

Company accounts are presented in a variety of ways, depending on what the company is hoping to get from them. They can, for example be hoping to avoid a tax burden at an inconvenient time or setting themselves up to be sold for an advantageous price. To the uninitiated, they are frequently misleading.

9. musikteech

I see. thanks. How can I find out what their bank balance is like then? I looked again at the officers on companies house and one of them is Indian and one Italian. The guy who emailed me about the job is English.

10. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Hmm...perhaps you are the next employee of Richard Roper in the Night Manager? Replacement for Corky?

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Sounds daft to me. If you were my son I'd be yelling down the phone to you and threatening to cut you out of the will.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  12. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Agree. Metals or something... rings alarm bells to me.

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The next step will be them asking for your bank details, a copy of your passport and your NI number!

14. musikteech

But it's registered in the UK at companies house with £100,000. I haven't heard from this Englishguy only by email. he hasn't called me on the telephone to discuss anything yet.

15. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Scammers use the name of a registered company to fool people. Registered companies can also be dubious and go into liquidation frequently, re-emerging with another name and the same directors.

Hackers recently purported to be a couple's reputable solicitor. They'd intercepted emails and knew when money would be required to complete a house purchase. They then conatcted the couple with bank details for the deposit and they paid in a very large sum of savings.

A lad was on TV just yesterday recounting how he'd advertised on Gum Tree for work some time ago. He was offered a job and sent off copies of identity documents PLUS £50 supposedly for a CRB check. He heard nothing more until the police took him in for questioning for what turned out to be use of his identity.

16. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@musikteech: You sound like Violet Hunter, in the Sherlock Holmes story, The Copper Beeches. That you have come on here for advice suggests that your instincts are telling you not to touch this with a barge pole. If it sounds dodgy, it definitely is.