1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non teaching job notice

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Jonny_H, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Jonny_H

Jonny_H New commenter

Hi all

been teaching a number of years but due to the state of my career and stress Im taking steps to change.

If I apply for a non teaching job,do I still need to give to give the same notice as usual. I’m not in an academy but have heard i do but I have also heard from some that I don’t.

many thanks in advance

jonny

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Your contract doesn't say you have a different notice period depending on your reason for leaving, I assume?

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Yes, you most likely do.
    Your notice is to leave your current post, it matters not a jot what you are going to do afterwards.

If you need to leave earlier, then chat to your head. You might be able to organise something agreeable to both sides.

agathamorse and Rott Weiler like this.
  4. Jonny_H

Jonny_H New commenter

Brilliant, thank you!

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes, what @caterpillartobutterfly says. It's irrelevant what job you are going to, even if the job is in another field outside education altogether. Whatever your contract says is your notice period is what you have to give if you want to leave (unless you can negotiate something shorter).

agathamorse likes this.