1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non-teaching heads of year

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by PeterQuint, Oct 24, 2018.

1. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

These appear to be more and more common.

But what are they called in your school?

2. Girlfromthenorthcountry

Girlfromthenorthcountry New commenter

Progress Leaders - no teaching qualifications, that's why they don't teach but they will act as cover supervisors when needed.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

In one school I taught in, each year had two heads:
    - academic leader (teacher)
    - pastoral leader (non-teaching)
    They appropriately divided the role and the students viewed them with equal respect but had very different relationships with them. This was an inner city school with huge numbers children requiring support so this worked well.

Currently, we have a 'head of year' who is not a teacher. They deal with both pastoral and academic progress, lead assemblies and communicate with tutors and parents. They are supported by the tutors in the year group. They are effective in my experience because they are available to deal with issues throughout the day, to take students away from situations, meet with parents, tailor report systems for individuals and can spend the time with children that teachers simply do not have. They are typically paid in line with TAs or cover supervisors.

What is your experience of the situation?

pepper5 likes this.
  4. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

My experience is that it is a very poor situation.

Many of the people who I have come across are effectively line managers for a team of qualified teachers, guiding things such as form time. They often have ideas above their station and and can be patronising to qualified staff.

In addition, letting in people with low qualifications into key roles in schools lowers the bar all round.

These people are often not educated, talk to kids in an "ignorant manner" and send emails littered with spelling mistakes.

They also deliver assemblies - sorry, their ignorance comes to the fore here as well.

5. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

You raise an interesting point here @baxterbasics. I have myself been irritated by the poor grammar on display in assemblies, emails home and student reports.

However, the salary offered for these posts is unlikely to attract more educated or qualified applicants. Until schools are able to change this, I still see value in an additional non-teaching adult dealing with the "drama" of teenagers throughout the day.

6. 1FineDay

1FineDay New commenter

I think there is benefit to a previous tutor guiding the (teaching) tutor team and also acting as an authority for pupils' behaviour and wellbeing (this would be a year head) and then a non-teaching pastoral manager who may deal more with day-to-day non-behaviour issues that arise with the pupils. Of course there may be some overlap and there may be times when the pastoral manager has to lead meetings that normally the year head would, but only in a 'stand-in' type fashion.

The year head is unlikely to be any teacher's line manager and the pastoral manager is considered a member of support staff, so wouldn't generally instruct teachers how to do their job as such, but may provide advice.

7. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

My school does this. It works well. The pastoral leaders not having a teaching timetable makes them more available to deal with behaviour issues quickly.

8. chris1729

chris1729 New commenter

Watch that attitude, my friend.

9. chris1729

chris1729 New commenter

Ooooof: as does your pride.