1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Non Teaching boyfriend

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by danniellaphillips, Oct 1, 2017.

  1. danniellaphillips

    danniellaphillips New commenter

    Hi. I'm in a difficult situation. i really want to go teach english with York English in fuzhou. I am really passionate and excited by this. My partner would also, very willingly move with me. The down side is he doesn't want to teach. I've been informed that he will need a job before we go but because he doesn't speak chinese, this is getting more and more stressful. Does anyone know of any english run/expat organisation? or any links to the university. He had a law degree with an Ecology top up dipoma. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
  2. schmedz

    schmedz Occasional commenter

    Wish I could help, but I don't know the answer to your question. It is very difficult for non-teaching spouses. Is there any way your partner could work 'remotely' i.e do consulting for a UK (or other) company whilst living abroad? That way he gets to work from 'home', maintain a salary but not have to worry about local labour law/work permits etc..
    danniellaphillips likes this.
  3. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    try world charities or NGO's in the region, it could be an option especially if he some high level qualifications.
  4. tigi

    tigi Occasional commenter

    It can be very tough. More so for men than women usually. Good luck!
  5. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    i just looked at that company....wow, that is a LOW package for a qualified teacher, and how are two of you going to live on what they are providing?

    why dont you apply to a full international school?

    also, and please dont take this the wrong way, but many many many relationships have ended with a bored trailing spouse in the house with nothing to do....especially in Asia !!!!
  6. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Yes, daniellaphillips, there is a smelly old hippopotamus who has lots of advice for you.

    Firstly, daniellaphillips, I hope that your real name is not "Daniella Phillips". It is not sensible to have a username that might give someone a clue as to your real identity. Please believe me when I say that there are one or two weirdos on the Internet, so please keep safe and conceal your actual identity. (I am really a giraffe, but please do not tell anyone.)

    Secondly, this is now my fifth year of teaching in China. Bureaurocracy, paperwork and officialdom in the Middle Kingdom can all be a bit scary and confusing, so maybe you should contact the Chinese Embassy. (It is usually a good idea to find out the bad news before it finds you.)

    In a nutshell, no one can come to China without a visa. If you are coming to work here, then you should get a Z visa, a work visa. That should not be a problem for you. Mrs Hippopotamus has something called a spouse visa, as she is my wife, but she is not supposed to do any work here in China. (Occasionally she does some modelling.) If you and your boyfriend were married, then he could apply for a spouse visa too, but you are not married and in any case you say that he wants to work. However, he does not have a job in China and it seems to me a bit unlikely that any Chinese company is going to offer him a job.

    Yes, there are business visas and tourist visas, but these would not allow him to live in China on a more or less permanent basis and they certainly would not allow him to work here.

    Is the situation going to change soon? Probably not. Here in Shenzhen, all the signs are that the Chinese authorities are cracking down on those naughty foreigners who are working here illegally. The penalties, if you are caught, are not pleasant.
  7. rodno1teach

    rodno1teach New commenter

    Yes you have to put your spouse's name down on your visa application form for you to be able to apply for a spouse visa for your BF. At least, your company should send you a form during the visa application process asking you for all family members who will be joining you. There's no jobs for foreigners in CHina except teaching either I don't think unless you have a business visa to run a business or you are here working for a foreign company.
  8. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    Why don't you consider a different country? If you worked in Thailand, for example, he could do tourist runs to maintain a legal visa. He still couldn't work there though.
  9. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    I cannot see how the OP can apply for a spouse visa for her boyfriend. The HR people at my present school in China said that a marriage certificate was definitely required.

    One solution to these problems would be to get married. Another solution would be to leave the BF behind in the UK.
  10. danniellaphillips

    danniellaphillips New commenter

    I'm aware that York doesn't win the best package award but given the reviews, I'd rather work for a company with a high reputation and enjoyable atmosphere than one with lots of money. I'm going for the experience, not to become rich. Here in England, i have a fairly decent paid job, so i intend to save as much as i can before i go. £8000rmb is enough to live on in china.

    as for relationships. You never know unless you try. He intends to work, wants to work. its just finding the opportunity
  11. danniellaphillips

    danniellaphillips New commenter

    Thats a good idea, Thank you :) it certainly opens up another line of enquiry if nothing else
  12. danniellaphillips

    danniellaphillips New commenter

    Hi everyone, Thank you for all the advice.

    A spouse visa is out of the question as we have no intention of getting married. Plus getting married for the sake of a visa just sounds dodgy.

    York English have been very helpful regarding accomodation and stuff. Its just trying to find contacts within the expat community in Fuzhou who might be in a similar situation or ecology contacts in the UK. Sadly, google can only get me so far.

    another question, has anyone been a student abroad in china? There are possibilities, if nothing else, for him to do his masters in Fuzhou

Share This Page