1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non-teacher poet friend publishing to educational books/journals

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by teapot24, Jul 12, 2020.

1. teapot24

teapot24 Occasional commenter

Afternoon all. Sorry if there is already some advice but I wondered how my non teacher poet friend would go about having her work published to schools and educational books/journals etc. She shared a poem with me today which was fantastic and really fitting for the huge push on vocabulary we are having at the moment. I wondered if there was away she could submit work to be published in an educational context. We have no idea where to start! Any advice would be really welcome. Thank you!

2. kghaye

kghaye New commenter

This is a tough one!

Getting work published as an unknown author is very hard - you need to have a track record of publications to be picked up by an established publisher.

Writing a collection of poems and self publishing is an option. I would write several anyway to have a chance of being noticed.

Alternatively, look for small, independent publishing companies who may be interested in presenting teaching materials through poetry.

It's really all about researching and this takes a long time. Perhaps look for similar things on TES, look up the author's shop on here and see if they have any links to websites or if they have published work out there.

Good luck! There are very talented people out there who need to get noticed!

3. Elsasupport

Elsasupport New commenter

Self publish definitely. People do very well providing you know how to market.

4. nwilkin

nwilkin Occasional commenter

I created a range of resources that I sold on TES a couple of years ago and was approached by a publishing house to get them published in a book.

I was unsure at first but agreed and I'm so glad I did. The book has sold incredibly well all over the world and a publisher has a larger marketing budget than self-publishing and I didn't have to pay anything to get the artwork done, the editing or any printing costs that self publishers often have to stump up for. I felt very in control of the whole process and had a huge say in the look and feel of the book and how it was sold.

You could tell your friend to try selling teaching resources on TES based around her poems as it may lead to something bigger. Obviously that is not guaranteed but it is a possibility and she will also get feedback about if her poems are suitable for education whilst still earning something from them. Worth a try.