1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non tacky Christening gift

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SSNI, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm going to a Christening on Sunday and will be shopping tomorrow. I need some help thinking of a christening gift. I don't have children of my own and like the minimalist look, so find it very difficult to buy all the little trinkets like birth certificate holders, baby's first tooth boxes etc. The baby's mum also hates such tacky things!

All suggestions will be very welcome! Thanks

2. A nice book

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Silver bosun's call with the date engraved on the keel

4. How about a cheque for the baby's trsut fund?

5. Plant it a tree?

6. Boy or a girl?

7. JTL

JTL New commenter

How about a special set of children's cutlery?

8. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I once bought the boxed set of Winnie the Pooh as a gift; When we were young, Now we are six &c. because my son had loved them as a tot.

9. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

How about a book of Bible Stories, or children's poetry?

10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

A Bible. A crucifix on a chain.
    Both my nieces got these from me. I am a non-believer, but took the view that anyone getting their child christened believes (or wants their child to be brought up believing) and so bought the most appropriate gifts I could think of.
    Of course, if all relatives and guests do this there's a surfeit of Bibles and crucifixes...

11. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

[​IMG]
    These are from John Lewis, I'm not sure if they are considered tacky or not. At least they could be returned if they were given more than one or they didn't like them. Making impressions of babies hand and foot print seems to be very popular. Price varies from 15 to 45 pounds.
    Finally figured out how to include pictures in my posts! Copy and Paste DUH!
    [​IMG]

12. A Christening spoon? Some Beatrix Potter china?

13. Premium bonds. You could, long shot, make the baby a millionaire.

14. bizent

bizent Lead commenter

A coin set?

15. But if they're ever caught up in a freak vampire attack they'll be sorted thanks to your generosity!

16. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

as opposed to a regular vampire attack? [​IMG]

17. a premium bond

18. a really nice pressi would be a voucher either for a photobook or to get photos printed or developed.Some great offers online, photobox.com, kodak etc, they can use them at their leisure