1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non-supply teachers just don’t get it.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Lucilla90, May 26, 2018.

1. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

Doing a part time supply placement. Only getting a small extra amount for doing all the planning and marking for the lessons I teach. Nowhere near covering the extra time I actually put in.

Half term has come. I have been told I have to do the scheme of work for the rest of term, for a whole year group for quite major curricular area. Because all the other teachers are doing at least two each. That’s the other teachers who are either on leadership spine or UPS, whilst I get little more than an NQT despite high qualifications and years of experience. Less if you count the days without work ( snow days etc...) Plus no pay in the holiday, no sick pay and no TPS payments.

I just think people who haven’t done supply don’t actually GET IT! We get paid for the days we work. So when am I meant to do a scheme of work..in half term, without pay? Or kick up a fuss and annoy both the school and the agency, maybe?

thekillers1, BetterNow and pepper5 like this.
  2. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

I'm an inexperienced supply, but I would let the agency know what the school is demanding, and let them know that either they need to up your rate or you are looking for another school where you don't have to do the extra.

If you're in an area or a subject where there is a demand for qualified and experienced teachers, if you annoy the school or the agency, so what? Agencies want to make as much money as they can and schools want to get the work they want done at the cheapest they can. Dog eat dog these days.

3. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

I was just going to say the same, speak to your agency. You definitely need to be getting more money.

4. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

If you are getting say 20 pounds a day extra in the belief you will do this then tell the school to sub contract this work to somebody else at 20 pounds a day

I’m sure they will get lots of people willing to do it!

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Lucilla90

Do not let the agency/school take advantage of you. You DO NOT have to write a scheme of work on the rate you are on. They are clearly exploiting you.

On Tuesday, ring your agency and explain that if the school wants you to write a scheme of work then they need to pay you X more ( you decide what to charge). You do not get paid extra to work during the holiday.

If the agency/school will not pay you the extra, simply give them notice and find new schools/agencies whatever.

If you explain to the agency in a polite manner they will understand - if they don't then that is their problem since you are being reasonable.

Don't spend your holiday/half term planning a scheme of work - just do not. Have a break with some days out, some shopping ( even if at charity shops), some walks, read, listen to the radio, have a BBQ. Do not, however, write a scheme of work.

It sickens me when some agencies and schools take advantage of supply teachers.

6. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Are you being paid a daily rate? Then it stands to reason that you only work on the days they have paid for. I'm pretty sure the agency, who get a cut, would agree.

7. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

Yes, I am getting a rate per day, with an added small amount per day for the actual planning of the lessons I teach. Not hit the AWR timescale yet, so it is very low.

I am positive the HOD I am working with does not get this at all.

Thanks for everyone’s comments...I know this really and yes, I will speak to the agency.

khru, bevdex, agathamorse and 3 others like this.
  8. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

Speak to them first thing Tuesday as pepper5 suggested.I know it's hard but try not to worry about it.Have a good weekend, do something nice.I can't believe they are expecting you to do this:eek::mad:.

agathamorse, Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Don't worry about the HOD - the agency will explain it all to the school who will explain it to the HOD.

Don't worry one more second about it and go out and half a wonderful half term.

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Nor me. :mad:

And yes you're quite correct, people who've never done supply really don't understand how it is completely different.

Another time if asked to do any extra, tell them they'll have to contact the agency to negotiate extra rates, before you give them the impression you'll do it.

11. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I am sorry to hear this is happening to you, @Lucilla90. If the school and/or agency is treating you like this, then you have little to lose by demanding more for the work you do. What is the betting that once you have finished doing the SoW, you will be dumped.

12. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

just say no, who cares who you annoy.

Supply teachers in our school just don't do things they don't want to do - the end.

Whats the point of being a supply teacher otherwise?

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Oh, I'm sure your HOD "gets it"

As to whether you do the SOW - it depends on what your ambitions are.

Do you want a more permanent position ? - if so then doing the SOW may well be a good thing to put on your CV.

Do you think you might stay on into next year ?

Otherwise negotiate more money or move on.

14. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I have found that it is better to just ignore unreasonable demands. You can always explain afterwards. You are not paid in the holidays - end of. For all they know you have commitments elsewhere in that time.

Ask which 5 days they want to pay you to work off timetable if they still want the Scheme of Work. If they don't give you that time just refuse. Ask your agency for another school.

15. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I'd probably try to do at least some of it IF they were paying me to scale. Not otherwise.

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

The problem with this situation is that if you were daft enough to do it, then the Agency and the school will expect everyone else to do it too.

17. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

I agree with the premise that, if paid to scale, you can be expected to do everything expected if you were in a permanent role. If you are getting paid quite a lot less, eg. £120 a day - no chance.

18. historygrump

historygrump Lead commenter Forum guide

I have to agree, we are paid for the days we work, we do not get holiday pay and so why should we work for now't, so I would tell the agency that the school is expecting you to work for now't during the holidays and see if they can you some money to cover your planning over the holidays.

19. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

Our supply teachers (employed as casual teachers i.e. zero hours at school) but get paid according to when we need them) have an element of holiday pay within their daily rate and are also paid to scale. As such, if they are covering for long term sickness, I'd expect them to do the medium term planning. Is that unreasonable?

pepper5 likes this.
  20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I presume these are not supplies sent by agencies, but ones known to you and employed regularly?

I see where you reckon holiday pay is included and much depends on how long it would take to do MTP, but I'm not sure the 'holiday allowance is paid at the same rate and many supply teachers do have to look for other work over the holidays because they don't make enough form supply to see them through. You see zero hours may be just that some weeks- zero hours! :( They stlll have their regular bills to cover and therefore technically that time is essentially 'lost' and could be seen as part of the 'holiday allowance. Not putting that very well, but basically if one is fortunate to get 60% work in the year a 'holiday allowance still won't make up for the lack of pay during non-working, slack times.

Certainly at my regular schools when on long-term cover I would do all marking, planning etc as part of 'goodwill' but I know many supplies would not.