1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non stop work

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by theedudicator, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Oh God that sounds awful. And you sound like you're staying quite rational as well. Looking for a new job is quite a good reaction, some people would become quite ill under that horrendous workload.

So there is a meeting every day? About student's achievement? Will this last for the whole year?

Can you get less students on those lists by approaching their work as if they carry on working like that, they will achieve the grade by the end of the year, not that they haven't achieved it yet? Can you go off gut feelings and just include students you're concerned about, rather than all those who technically haven't passed yet? You might get through them quicker.

Can you copy and paste standard comments on what you are doing to help each student?

2. bigpedro

bigpedro New commenter

Sounds like the classic school managment policy of sledgehammer to crack a nut. do all staff feel this way?
    If so, check your comditions of service especially with regards to meetings. I believe that in state schools it is limited to 1 hour per week after normal school hours. (or perhaps this is just our place)
    If a sufficient number of you feel this way, then set up a work to rule policy with the backing of the unions.
    Of course, if your school is an academy, all this advice goes out of the window.
    If looking to bail out, make sure you have a reason other than "workload" or disagreeing with managment policies to tell your next employer.

Good luck
    Pedro

3. I teach in wales and my workload has gone through the roof. Luckily my brain shut down and treated itself to a nervous break down. I have been signed off for six weeks so far and I'm not keen to return. I spent most of last year marking work for little benefit and winging lessons as I had zero time to prepare. You don't really feel job satisfaction that way. The very thing I was employed to do got the least amount of time and was of low quality. What really got me was that no-one noticed as long as the paperwork was up to date........

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

speak to your HoD who will decide which bits of paper you have to prioritise and help you sort some of them out (or, as HoD this is what I would be doing for an NQT).

5. I went through something like this when my school went into special measures some years ago. However, I go by this maxim: "Work to live". Start looking for another job.

I enjoy teaching but it is not my whole life. The boundaries often get blurred in schools and management panic in the face of inspections and go for the over kill approach. In the end the entire staff refused to go with their madcap strategies and we just on with focusing on teaching good lessons.

Data capture, admin, analysis etc. is the biggest killer of enthusiasm for me as a teacher. So often, when I am sitting at a PC uploading statistics or preparing some kind of mid term report etc. I think, 'If only I had this time to create a fabulous lesson for my Year 11!' But these days it's paperwork that counts - not teaching.