1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non stop barking driving me mad

Discussion in 'Personal' started by disguise, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Just what you need on an Easter holiday. My neighbour below me is 'looking after' a friend's dog. I saw said neighbour about a week and a half ago and asked her about the dog as I had heard it barking a lot. She assured me she was simply taking care of it while a friend had her baby and it was going at the weekend. Two weekends have passed since then. Everytime said neighbour goes out, the dog barks. Non stop. It sounds quite young. The thing is she lives in a studio flat, smaller than mine which is one bedroom and small in itself so it is so unfair to leave a poor dog in there anyway. Also, the dog has been there about 3 weeks now and not once have I seen it walked. I think this is really cruel and to be honest the noise is beginning to annoy me. To add to this, when the neighbours are home, they talk REALLY loud and I can hear every word of their conversations - she is hard of hearing although fairly young (40 ish) so I have let this go to a certain extent but it is now which lesser of two evils I want to put up with - her being home and talking loud or her not being home and the dog barking. No wonder I am selling my flat. Should I complain to her, the council, both or neither? Bare in mind that I am trying to sell and in the unlikely position someone comes to view my flat a dog barking downstairs will not help me!

2. Good Luck getting through to the RSPCA.I tried many many times to contact them about a dog which was being cruelly treated.

3. http://www.rspca.org.uk/utilities/contactus

4. Hi all thanks for the replies. Re: disputes, when I eventually sell, do I have to declare any disputes because I have made formal complaints in the past? I have been out most of the day but can't hear the dog now so will see it goes over the next few days. I heard her talking to someone at her door earlier so I am hoping this means the dog is gone.

5. The dog is not gone. Still. But I feel unable to complain about it since I've had problems with my bathroom recently which have caused her problems. The dog is barking right now, not a huge issue presently as I am still up and it is Friday night but I fear sleepless nights when I go back to work next week and being a commuter, I can't afford a lack of sleep!

6. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Hi Disguise. You aren't the only one - see "being petty".
    There is a difference between a problem with the bathroom which is a one off that you presumably fixed as soon as you could and an on-going barking problem.
    How about popping down and asking if everything about bathroom is now resolved. Invite her up to your's for tea and cake as you "feel so bad about the inconvenience". Make sure she leaves the dog downstairs (you have an allergy). Hopefully it will bark incessently and she'll notice. You could then say, "The dog barking must drive you mad. Still it will be going home soon, won't it?"
    Say that you do find it disturbs you quite a bit but as it's only short term and has been in the holidays it wasn't a huge problem but that you're going back to work next week and will need your beauty sleep then.
    Good luck.

7. This is a good idea. She's not the tea and cake type but I will do something along these lines. Hopefully the flat sells soon and I can leave.

8. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

While I agree with others about trying to talk this through with your neighbour, maybe in the meantime you can consider using ear plugs while you sleep. There are many good ones available now, like small pieces of sponge which expand and fill the ear canal. I use them all the time as a motorcyclist. You may think you won't hear the alarm clock, but you will (best to put it on maximum anyhow!) and the best of all, you will probably get the deepest and best sleep you have ever had. I have been amazed at the difference for me, as I tend to wake up quite a lot during the night as cars drive by or some drunk neighbours come home.....not with the plugs! If you do use them, be sure to fit them properly - you don't just plug the end of your ears, you roll them into a cylinder shape and then feed gently into the ear canal, hold as you let them expand (about 30 seconds) and presto....all is peaceful in the world. (But you will still hear doorbells or shouts, just that the sting has gone totally)

9. Thanks dumpty - I used to use ear plugs (after buying some when I had an ear infection) but they fell apart after using them in a pool so need to get more.