1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

non speaking child please help

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by SHundley, Feb 6, 2012.

1. I have a child in my reception class who doen't speak much - fine.
    the only issue is he has congenital adrenal hyperplasia; a potentially
    life threatening disease where attacks can come on suddenly.
    He gets symptoms such as cramps, headache and stomach ache but is terrifed of saying because he doesn't want to go to hospital.
    Does anyone have any ideas of things i can offer (verbal or non verbal) so he can tell us when he is feeling ill.
    p.s last week one day he seemed fine and that evening he ended up in a coma so need todo something to prevent it happening again

Thanks!!

2. you could have cards for how he is feeling and have one that says when he is ill?

3. Hi,
    What a predicament. Like the previous poster, PEX cards would be my first choice, but if the child is reluctant to "tell" due to fears about being taken to hospital - then they may not be appropriate. Perhaps you could use some lateral thinking? Make a "Special comfy place". This might be a large comfy cushion they can access or just a quiet area of the classroom. Instead of asking the child to tell someone about feeling poorly........you might suggest that if they feel ill - they can go and have a rest in the special comfy place..........a clear indication to staff that something's amiss without the child having to report to an adult :) Good luck

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

What do the parents do at home? If he doesn't want to go to hospital they must face the same issues?