1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

non speaking child please help

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by SHundley, Feb 6, 2012.

1. I have a child in my reception class who doen't speak much - fine. the only issue is he has congenital adrenal hyperplasia; a potentially life threatening disease where attacks can come on suddenly.
    He gets symptoms such as cramps, headache and stomach ache but is terrifed of saying because he doesn't want to go to hospital.
    Does anyone have any ideas of things i can offer (verbal or non verbal) so he can tell us when he is feeling ill.
    p.s last week one day he seemed fine and that evening he ended up in a coma so need todo something to prevent it happening again

Thanks!!

2. I have a child in my reception class who doen't speak much - fine. the only issue is he has congenital adrenal hyperplasia; a potentially life threatening disease where attacks can come on suddenly.
    He gets symptoms such as cramps, headache and stomach ache but is terrifed of saying because he doesn't want to go to hospital.
    Does anyone have any ideas of things i can offer (verbal or non verbal) so he can tell us when he is feeling ill.
    p.s last week one day he seemed fine and that evening he ended up in a coma so need todo something to prevent it happening again

Thanks!!

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Perhaps he could have a card in his tray or bag that could indicate he was feeling unwell?
    What do his parents suggest?

4. I'm meeting his mum tomorrow but he doesn't even speak to her about it a lot of the time

5. ROSIEGIRL

Tricky. Understandable from his point of view though - he's only little to have to deal with stuf like that.
    I've just googled adrenal hyperplasia and there's a support group - maybe they could help you? And mum and him too!
    http://www.livingwithcah.com/

6. is there an outreach nurse at the hospital he attends who could talk to you? It sounds really worrying and not having all the info you need makes it more difficult.

7. ROSIEGIRL

Do you have a special school nearby? I used to work in a school for the physically handicapped and we often dealt with one-off queries about children in mainstream schools.

8. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

Could you have a laminated picture of the outline of a child, with some laminated smiley and sad faces that he could stick on to the various body parts with blutack or velcro to show how he was feeling? This is something he would probably enjoy doing and it would give you some indication of how he was feeling eg if you thought he was having stomach cramps and he confirmed this by sticking a sad face on the tummy!

9. Might sound a daft idea but what about a school trip to the hospital...might make him feel important because he has been to hospital...or a role play area which is a hospital. If all the children are talking about hospitals then he might not feel so different and so scared. It might also give his confidence a boost as he can be very important and know lots of things about hospitals. Another thing you could try is a therapeutic story. It is a story that you write to get across a certain point. Something which he can relate to. Here are a couple of examples. If you google it though you might get some ideas for a story you could tell him to heal and address his fears. Mum could read it to him too.
    http://www.waldorflibrary.org/Journal_Articles/GW55brooks.pdf
    He is obviously scared and that is why he doesn't say. You along with the parents need to address these fears so that he will say if feeling ill.
    I uploaded quite a few emotional literacy resources to the resource bank. One is a very simple game which is basically a die and different feeling faces. You play with the child and share times when you felt sad, happy, scared etc. I work as a ELSA in school and find this really helpful to get children to talk to me.
    Here is the link
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Feelings-game-6158836/