1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

non renewal of contract

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Illumined, May 6, 2012.

1. Can anyone tell me why my boss has asked me to write a letter of resignation even though my contract naturally finishes anyway. I haven't been offered a renewal and have applied elsewhere for work, but if I'm unlucky I may need JSA. Surely I won't be entitled to JSA if I write a resignation letter, but I'm not sure I want to stay. I feel a bit like I'm being blackmailed to stay on in a job I'm not sure about. Please help

2. Can anyone tell me why my boss has asked me to write a letter of resignation even though my contract naturally finishes anyway. I haven't been offered a renewal and have applied elsewhere for work, but if I'm unlucky I may need JSA. Surely I won't be entitled to JSA if I write a resignation letter, but I'm not sure I want to stay. I feel a bit like I'm being blackmailed to stay on in a job I'm not sure about. Please help

3. Seems weird. Does your contract run out on 31 Aug? What end date does your boss want you to put on your letter? I wonder whether it might be at the end of term, thereby saving the school money on your salary for a month.

4. Hi there, yes, it does end at end of August. I've not been asked for a date for the resignation letter (should I wish to go), and haven't been offered anything else by them either. Are you thinking they would dupe me into resigning and so losing my summer pay?Can they do that?

5. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

There is no need to offer a letter of resignation as you aren't resigning. The school need to let you know why they are letting you go, ie if it is a mat leave, return of post-holder or whatever reason was given in your contract for it being a contract.
    Don't write any letter as you are also correct that for JSA you would be deemed to be voluntary unemployed rather than end of contract.
    It may be that your line manager just doesn't know what they are doing, but it could also be that there is a future contract that could be offered to someone else as you 'have resigned'

6. I agree - don't write the letter! It sounds as if they are either incompetent or up to no good. If your contract ends in August there is no need to resign. Talk to your union.

7. You don't say what type of school you work in, or how long you have been employed there, or whether you were taken on as a temporary or permanent member of staff. At one point, once you had been employed temporarily for 2 years, you were required to be taken on permanently. At first read, I wondered if that was what they were trying to work their way around.
    Ask for the reason of them wanting a resignation letter and def contact your union.
    I wouldn't write the letter. As you say, I don't think you'd qualify for JSA if it looks like you resigned out of choice.

8. Rockchick2112

Rockchick2112 New commenter

Do not resign- you will not get JSA for a set period of time, as you will be judged to have willingly given up your employment. Jobcentres can (and do) contact employers to check the circumstances of a claimant's employment coming to an end. I'm fairly sure that if someone has been employed on a fixed-term contract for at least a year, the school should be issuing a letter to confirm that the contract is not being renewed and the reasons why (eg the post no longer being required or someone returning from maternity leave). Do not be pressurised into resigning!

9. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

This is not correct. You may gain redundancy rights (but if it was two successive maternity contracts, in all likelihood not).

10. To clarify it: the employment rights you have will depend upon your contract of employment and how long you have worked at the school?
    Perhaps you could indicate that. But on the basis of what you say, and assuming the HT is not incompetent, then he/she might simply be trying to remove what employment rights you are entitled to. If so, i hope somebody does it them too...