1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

(Non- QTS) PGCE - will this allow me to teach abroad?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by daniel_laddiman1, Dec 20, 2018.

1. daniel_laddiman1

daniel_laddiman1 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I am a recently qualified secondary school maths teacher with QTS. I am looking to teach in NewZeland, Australia or Canada but have discovered I cannot qualify as a teacher in these countries without a PGCE...

I have read a lot of posts about the iPGCE offered at the university of Sunderland and Nottingham, etc. These are approximately £4-6,000. Ironically I have read these are not accepted in NewZeland or Australia due to their ‘international’ context. However, I have come across a ‘distance learning’ PGCE at the University of Cumbria that is less than £1,600 . This doesn’t have the international component and would therefore appear similar to any other PGCE universities around the UK.

Do people think this qualification would allow me to teach in the commonwealth countries? I have attached a link below for you to view the University of Cumbria PGCE: https://www.cumbria.ac.uk/study/courses/postgraduate/postgraduate-certificate-in-education-non-qts/

A final thing to add: I have already contacted the educational councils in NewZeland and Australia. Both are unable to inform me if the above course is sufficient. I was initially nervous about the ‘distance learning’ element, believing this insufficient to qualify. However, the university of Cumbria has informed me that the certificate will not say distance learning and only ‘PGCE’. So what do people think to my dilemma? Has anyone else been successful with their application using this certificate?

Thank you,

Daniel