1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non music classrooms

Discussion in 'Music' started by JemRay, Sep 5, 2020.

1. JemRay

JemRay New commenter

Are there any ideas out there for teaching secondary music in non music classrooms? No instruments or singing allowed. Year 10 in non music classroom with one teacher piano. Any help would be greatly appreciated particularly for year 9 . Thanks.

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Composing?
    Notation games?
    Pupils invent music quizzes and games?
    Graphic scores?
    Any computers for notation software/ sampling etc?
    Can you go outside to record 'sounds of nature / environmental sounds' and sample them back in the classroom to create compositions?

Good luck, I hope it is going well.

3. muso2

muso2 Established commenter Community helper

Schools are varying on this, and I'm lucky to still be in music classrooms and using some instruments. I can imagine it must be very challenging for you.
    I recommend the Facebook group KS3 music hints and tips, which is full of discussions relating to this at the moment. Good luck to you!

4. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference Occasional commenter

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I know it's gloomy.... but let's go with what we can while hopefully not boring the kids and ourselves stupid.

My vague triumph this week was 'pencil case percussion' :D