1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non-Married Teaching Couple Applying in the Middle East

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Chica21, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Is it a problem?

2. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

3. ok

4. Should I not even bother with the M.E. then? Is it that big of a problem?

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

You might get into some schools in Egypt. Other than that, yes it's a problem.

6. Or get married!

7. I just asked him. He said no.

8. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

Maybe that should tell you something!

9. double post.

10. (sigh)

11. So, do you need to show marriage certificates to prove that you are married?

12. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Try applying as two singles. A lot of schools prefer married couples as they tend to be more stable (no garuantee of course) and in rather a lot of countries you will find it is not possible otherwise. Europe is generally not a problem, but the ME is.

13. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

That is what you get (apart from the other half) when you get hitched I am reliably informed.

14. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

"Living in sin" is illegal in all ME Islamic countries.

In Egypt, they tend to turn a blind eye to it but if you upset your bawab (doorman at apartment block) he can denounce you as a prostitute - then the fun and games start

15. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

I love fun and games!!

16. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, I have known couples in Qatar cohabiting (or whatever you want to call it). It can be done. Most of the better schools are not prepared to wink or turn a blind eye to these things and there is always the risk that someone will tip off the cops. Qatar is not Saudi Arabia, but there are still limits to what is and what is not allowed. To be honest, I would advise living in separate apartments or getting married. It is not worth all of the hassle.

17. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

You can always do a "local" marriage once you are there. It used to be the norm.

18. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

When I left my last post I had the option of ending my two year relationship or getting married, simply because movement for individuals is not free and moral codes differ worldwide. We chose the latter and now only have the endless visa applications for her to visit anywhere that is not a third world country with me . . . sigh.

19. I was teaching in Doha and there was a lot of unmarried couples living together in the school accommodation provided. I think its a technicality that many school owners are probably willing to overlook. I know other unmarried teaching coupls living together in Omanas well. Don't rule out ME, ask discretelyto see what the deal it.