1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non linear adventure texts - Y6 extending narrative topic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Fleur ;-), May 14, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I'm after some suggestions please! I'm going to be teaching the extending narrative topic from the framework in Y6 as our literacy unit for after the SATs. In the past i've used an online text for this, called 'Return to Dunbar'. It worked really well and was ideal. However, the web address I have for it no longer works now i've come to do my planning. Just wondering what texts others use if they teach this unit - I've had a search but can't find anything suitable online, i'm heading to the library soon to see if they've got any 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books. Any suggestions of books or online texts would be so helpful!
    Thanks.

2. Why don't you do Barrowquest http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/nbradshaw/literacy/bqpp2.pot which is designed for Year 6 towards the end of the year. It is a multiple-choice adventure quest.
    In the past, the children have designed their own quest (usually in pairs) and written it together. There are five parts to it and each part ends with a choice. Each child makes a small book with drawings, maps etc.
    I've used it very successfully with a very mixed-ability group.

3. Waiguoren

Waiguoren New commenter

So happy to hear this - I've been interested in roleplaying games in class myself recently. I have a Year 1 class, but I'm looking forward to working with other classes in the future.
    I looked into gamebooks that I could use in class, and I was delighted to find that there was a series of books that I'd loved playing when I was young, called "Lone Wolf" which have been made available online, by the author, entirely free!
    I also used to love playing the Fighting Fantasy books. These are NOT freely available online - as far as I know you still have to buy them - but what is available at their website is:
    1. A template where you (or your class!) can write their own roleplaying adventures.
    2. A big collection of gamebooks made by fans (which are freely available) and
    3. A mini-adventure, free, written for use in class.
    I've put all the links on a page of my website.
    http://mrkohll.weebly.com/mr-kohlls-choose-your-own-adventure-educational-games.html
    I hope you like them. Let me know what you think!