1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non-Fiction writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dsb09158, Apr 29, 2011.

1. I am at uni and I have an assignment to write on non-fiction writing. I was just wondering what people think about teaching non-fiction writing and how they go about it?

2. Hi dsb09158,
    Would highly recommend Sue Palmers Skeleton Books. Her concept of breaking down the structure of the composition, is so easy to teach and gets great results. There are a range of books or an IWB resource, with some nifty features that make this option even more appealing for the amount of time it would save in preparation.
    http://www.keen2learn.co.uk/product/Sue-Palmer-Skeleton-Books-CD.php
    Also, keep an eye out for different types of planning frameworks that the children use when you are out on teaching placement. Consistency across a school in the way that these types of writing are taught is essential and commonly forms part of the policy. Ask if its possible to see the school policy, or do some general searches online.
    Don't forget to look in the resources here too. The whole of the non fiction writing section would definately be worth scrolling through :)
    Sam

3. Hi Sam,
    Thanks very much for the help I will try to get a hold of the resources you told me about. I am starting to panic about the assignment now though.
    Fraser.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. Msz

6. Msz

7. Thanks very much Msz.