1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non-fiction writing project themes?

Discussion in 'English' started by figgins, Dec 8, 2011.

1. After having a blinding flash of inspiration with poetry tattoos last year I am now seeking an idea to hang non-fiction writing for GCSE on to. I have thought of superheroes - invent an alterego, have a scenario/storyline leading to a variety of writing types etc. I wondered if that was a little too juvenile and thought maybe forensics or spies would be a better start out point, but I'm not sure how I would get the main writing types into that. Does anyone have any ideas for themes that would be right for year 10 and allow a lot of scope for writing?

2. After having a blinding flash of inspiration with poetry tattoos last year I am now seeking an idea to hang non-fiction writing for GCSE on to. I have thought of superheroes - invent an alterego, have a scenario/storyline leading to a variety of writing types etc. I wondered if that was a little too juvenile and thought maybe forensics or spies would be a better start out point, but I'm not sure how I would get the main writing types into that. Does anyone have any ideas for themes that would be right for year 10 and allow a lot of scope for writing?

3. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

In a similar area to tattoos... what about graffiti? Here are some resources that someone linked to last week:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/ResourceDetail.aspx?storyCode=6132643
    You could come up with a range of stuff - describe, argue/persuade, advice, inform, explain, analysis, review. There's that (award winning?) documentary by Banksy 'Exit Through The Gift Shop' which would help you add another angle ' - reviewing, media analysis or whatever. Or you link it to hip hop, break dancing, politics of early hip hop, gangster stuff, Gil Scott Heron (obituaries), portrayal of stereotypes through media, magazine cover analysis if graffiti is too narrow. Our kids here would find it sick innit. In fact, I might do some myself. Curses - you've provoked me into thinking about doing some work. Although I think I've got a load of stuff I hoarded from t'internet and haven't looked through.