1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non exam RE in year 9 and 10

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by jessiejump, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I have been informed that as from Sept RE will be non - exam RE in year 9 and 10 (we don't do it in Year 11). I was doing the OCR Phil and appled ethics short course. I was planning to follow the units and then the more able do the full course exam ( 2 ethics and 2 phil units at the end of Year 10 -4 hours of exams) at the end of Year 10 in 2014. That means my present year 9 who are doing Equality and Diversity at present will have to do compulsary RE in year 10. Does any more have any advice or experience on this please? I can see the positives that I can deliver a creative and interesting curriculm without the restraints of an exam course BUT I am concerned about kids not valuing it and you have not got the carrot of a qualification for the more able especially. I feel like I am back to square one with RE and in the same position I was 11 years ago with non exam RE, although RE has moved on alot. If anyone does do this what type of topics do you do? - I would assume still ethical based issues like med ethics, crime, media, poverty ect but maybe more enquiry based and focusing on skills and personal response not exam questions.
    Thanks in anticipation. J x

2. Hi all,
    I have been informed that as from Sept RE will be non - exam RE in year 9 and 10 (we don't do it in Year 11). I was doing the OCR Phil and appled ethics short course. I was planning to follow the units and then the more able do the full course exam ( 2 ethics and 2 phil units at the end of Year 10 -4 hours of exams) at the end of Year 10 in 2014. That means my present year 9 who are doing Equality and Diversity at present will have to do compulsary RE in year 10. Does any more have any advice or experience on this please? I can see the positives that I can deliver a creative and interesting curriculm without the restraints of an exam course BUT I am concerned about kids not valuing it and you have not got the carrot of a qualification for the more able especially. I feel like I am back to square one with RE and in the same position I was 11 years ago with non exam RE, although RE has moved on alot. If anyone does do this what type of topics do you do? - I would assume still ethical based issues like med ethics, crime, media, poverty ect but maybe more enquiry based and focusing on skills and personal response not exam questions.
    Thanks in anticipation. J x

3. lesley66

lesley66 New commenter

You could do something like AQA Religious Expression in Society - about how spirituality is shown through art, architecture, music,media etc. It allows the creativity and engagement angle in tons. You could also look at a philosophy type course for Y10 - more able kids especially enjoy that kind of course. Though you could do ethics for the others. It is possible to deliver each in a year, and then have the chance of exam entry at the end of Y10 - will your school let them sit at the end of Y10 (which is the end of their course, so meets Gove's demands)? That is worth asking.

4. delahay

delahay New commenter

I wish I could be upbeat, but this disheartens me so much. When I started teaching 20 years ago it was all non exam RE. We were always asked 'Why do we have to do this?' Things are so much better now. But more and more there are threads which tell of changes such as this.
    The sad thing is there are so many great RE teachers coming out of college who have had the experience of better RE in the last 10 years and now there is no work.