1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non-elective year 8 music class.... urgent help needed

Discussion in 'Music' started by casper, May 11, 2011.

1. casper

casper New commenter

Hi, I couldn't agree more. Start with some listening written work and allow those who are on task to move to a practical task. Mine are enjoying variations at the moment. I played them variations on Twinkle Twinkle and one usually boisterous lad said. Oh miss it is a remix in'it. So they are now doing variations on frere jacques and enjoying it.

Good luck, stick it out .

2. Annie I feel for you, there are various things you could try. Can I ask a couple of things which might help me offer some ideas. 1) How chocka is your SOW at the moment? Can you afford to come off it for a few classes or have you got to get through certain topics by a given date? 2) How would you feel about teaching singing/a song which includes this and beat boxing? 3) Would there be any budget for visiting speakers?

3. Thank you all for your replies. I'm sorry..... I posted this on Personal originally as just a whinge over having a foul day, and then posted it on Behaviour, and on Music, so it's now on three forums. I was truly desperate! From all your collective advice, I've decided that next week's lesson with these two year 8 classes will consist of..... Lining them outside quietly then moving them inside to the main classroom......as usual, I immediately write the minutes wasted in doing this on the board... they make this time up at lunch. I already do this, but instead of using this time to 'nicely' reason with them, they can get lines. The cozy seating arrangement will be gone.... all desks will be facing the front, and separated from each other. I can skip some of the listening examples (we're doing rock music styles) and return to written theory sheets. The musical kids will get through this quickly so they will be rewarded with "prac" ... I can trust them to do this on their own as prac room is just next door.....I will then be left with the worst offenders. If they don't complete the theory, i will "help" them over lunchtime. Since I have both classes immediately before lunch, I have no problems having to round them up for detention. (We work on a two-week timetable, so this is not always possible). I have also spoken to the Student Behaviour Manager and insisted that the most disruptive boy be removed from my class, and have the option of sending the next two most disruptive students to senior classes with written work. These kids will see that I mean business! On a brighter note, I had my year 7 girls wanting to practice independently in the 'prac' room at lunchtime today, and they were SO enthusiastic when I popped into see them, and I had a brilliant year 7 boy's class. There are a few disruptive boys in that class, but since we''re playing rock music through the PA, we were able to ignore the ones who were just banging haphazardly on the (very quiet.. and not linked to the PA system!) keyboards. I rewarded all the ones who were trying really hard. I've come home feeling all enthused about teaching again! [​IMG]

4. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

Some of my year 8s used to actually like doing lines...
    I'd just make them sit there in silence. Even more boring and a complete waste of their time.

5. I might use these ideas too.

I have 2 horrible year 8 groups and today I have come home feeling utterly awful. I start my day off with the worst class I teach and they just sat there and berated me, the class didn't learn anything or do anything other than be rude to me, tell me I can't do my job and that they want to do music not 'work'. I got 2 of them to go outside, by which time the principal was outside, they spent 2 mins outside, came back in, played on their phones, started eating crisps. I don't get any of the lesson done, and I hate it. There are 1 or 2 alright pupils in the class but even they turned on me today. I almost cried but stopped myself thank goodness. I could remove 2 of the main players into support for 2 weeks but I'd still be left with ones who will easily fill their boots, they're already doing it quite well.

I don't know what to do at all. They whined today that they wanted to play instruments, I have let them on numerous occasions, but I did point out that when I specify certain instruments I'd like them to stick with those, not go rooting around and dancing around the room knocking people with a trombone.

*sigh*

6. Princess_moose...... you have my every sympathy... this sounds just like my classes! My principal says "Well, just let them play the instruments"... but it's exactly as you described.... sheer chaos...... they treat the instruments like toys, play tug of war with the guitars....... ....................It IS awful when the nice kids turn on you... .In the playground they're all smiles and "Hello, Miss!" ..... the minute they get with their peers in the classroom, I don't feel as if I'm dealing with individuals any more.... a real pack mentality has developed.......I'm worried that hardly any of them will sign up for music as an elective, since classes are so unpleasant for the musical kids, and then, MY ability as a teacher is questioned... but as of next week, I will make sure the musical kids get prac...and try to focus on them.....

7. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi Princess and Annie
    all us decent music teachers have had this rubbish-mentality to deal with and I'm sure all other subjects suffer similarly.
    Just a thought to keep us going when things are tough - on another thread on Music board, someone quoted the old adage "those who can, do - those who can't, teach" This has always annoyed me as it makes no sense really; what it does infer is that teachers are different from others and you bet we are - what other profession has to put up with moaning folk from age 5 to 55 (pupils and parents), get no thanks when we reach targets but plenty of girning and having to justify our failings (when it's the pupils who couldn't be bothered listening anyway) if results are below par and get paid less per hour than most other professions?
    Just remember the proud moments (when a parent thanked you, there was a good concert, one pupil excelled against all the odds) and rejoice that we teach the best subject ever!
    [​IMG]
    Joni xx

8. Thank you Joni! And thanks everyone again for their advice. I had a much better day today.... removed the cozy seating plan, had the seats in rows, and hit them with written theory..... blissful sllence. Not an enjoyable lesson for me, as very little interaction.... but better than the constant battles we've been having! xxx

9. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Well done on feeling better and keep up the good work!!

Joni xx

10. I have them at 9am tomorrow :(

11. Good luck with that, Princess-moose..... I found that death-by-worksheet worked with other class too, with promise of 'prac' to the ones who actually finished. In fact it worked better, since I'd separated all the seats into rows, with spaces between them, and this time had the worksheets on desks ready to go..........so they thought it was a test! LOL! I'm not necessarily going to succeed with same strategy next week... they get used to things quickly, so will have to think of something else.......Good luck, come back and post and let us know how you're getting on x

12. I've just found this board and having the same issue with my 8s. There are about 5 students in each class ruining it for the rest of the class.
    The room I start lessons in is in grouped tables which is going to change next week and I'll have plenty of theory sheets on standby too. Boy girl rowed seating and silent starter. Goodies will go onto practical. Some great advice here for the evil 8s!

Thanks!

13. crusell

crusell New commenter

A few years ago I took over a music department in a school in special measures. I used a lot of rewards i.e raffle ticket system to reward any possible bit of good behaviour, even writing the date got rewarded. The kids worked in groups, were rewarded for performing, putting their instruments away , giving positive feedback etc. Also I was clear and specific on achievement levels including differentiation for tasks. The lesson was structured with explanation or demonstration from me, a little bit of writing or work in exercise books, practice time, performance time and feedback time. and lots of moving round to support groups. When Ofsted came the classes were brilliant. PM me if you want any activities or lesson ideas.