1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non contact time

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by Crewofmoya, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Crewofmoya

Crewofmoya New commenter

Looking for some guidance here.We have just been told that we all have to do three peer observations by Easter and that they must be done in our non contact time.Is this correct? I thought non contact time was for you to do as chose fit but we are being told there is no other time to do it so it will have to be then! Any advice gratefully accepted.

2. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

You can't be directed in your planning time but if these observations are part of the 35 hour week plan in your wta you may be stuck. Other than that it will hinge on whether observations constitute class contact time - a call to your union may be necessary.

Alice K likes this.
  3. Crewofmoya

Crewofmoya New commenter

Thanks for that.the observations have just been sprung on us tonight - no idea they were happening so I don't see how they could be classed as part of 35 hour week.I agree a call to the union is in order.

Alice K likes this.
  4. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

You also need to question what is the purpose of these? Are they on your school improvement plan?

Peer observations should be instigated by a teacher who wishes to watch a colleague, not by management who say you need to do this

Alice K likes this.
  5. Crewofmoya

Crewofmoya New commenter

6. Crewofmoya

Crewofmoya New commenter

Thanks for that.That is really interesting.Not on school improvement plan and definitely not requested by staff.I also feel three is excessive.Is these anything formally written down about your point about the observations needing to be instigated by teachers? I feel I need something in black and white to go back with,otherwise they will just ignore us as usual.

Alice K likes this.
  7. Effinbankers

It's the lack of things written down/agreed which is in your favour

Just say you're not doing it (when you've got union advice - which will be to ignore it).

You can't be forced to go and observe other teachers in your non-contact time

8. Crewofmoya

Crewofmoya New commenter

The trouble is they just say where is the evidence that says you can't do it in non contact time.Without some sort of hard factual evidence they just don't listen.We were told last year by a teacher from another school that we shouldn't be handing in planning for monitored and that we could plan in any format that suited us.That went down like a lead balloon!

9. Effinbankers

You can plan in whatever format you like. Again get in touch with your local area union guy. Rules are rules. Sounds like you have a HT/SMT who think they can do what they like - they can't. It's called bullying.

Alice K likes this.
  10. Effinbankers

Your working time agreement specifies what you do. If it's not in it, you don't do it. Simples. The WTA is the only real way staff have of controlling workload and you stick to it like glue. See my post on the other thread you have started

11. AyeRight

AyeRight Occasional commenter

What authority are you in? They should have an LNCT agreement as to the scope and purpose of observations.

12. sir2006

sir2006 New commenter

It won’t be in your WTA based on what you’ve said. Then there’s stating the obvious...it’s not your Non Class Contact Time if you’re in class...