1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non-contact time

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by laura071005, Jan 14, 2012.

1. laura071005

laura071005 New commenter

I work as a Nursery class teacher with more contact hours than the other years in the school due to the two sessions per day. I have 30 hours contact a week and only 4 hours 15 non contact altogether (split into 2 hours PPA and 2 hours 15 NQT time) I can't see how it works out to the 10% we are supposed to get but I may be wrong! Can anyone help? Thanks

2. laura071005

laura071005 New commenter

I work as a Nursery class teacher with more contact hours than the other years in the school due to the two sessions per day. I have 30 hours contact a week and only 4 hours 15 non contact altogether (split into 2 hours PPA and 2 hours 15 NQT time) I can't see how it works out to the 10% we are supposed to get but I may be wrong! Can anyone help? Thanks

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

You should have roughly an 81% timetable - The normal 10% PPA, and then a further 10% of that 90%. You should really have closer to 5-6 hours in total, by my count.

4. Agree with the above - but the easiest way is to find out what other non-NQT teachers have. You should have 10% less teaching than them (obviously, don't look at the timetable of someone with TLRs or other responsibilities reducing their teaching time).

5. If you have a 34-hour timetable approximately (including both contact and non-contact time) then you should have around 6 hours non-contact time.
    I could be wrong as I don't know whether time before/after school is counted into your overall timetable and I'm poorly so I'm not exactly on top thinking form but that's what I've calculated.

6. Your reduction must be based on the timetable of a teacherwho is not a NQT and who have no allowances. You should look at teaching onbly,not non-teaching duties.You should get a 19% reduction as explained in the post above. Ask the school to show how they calculated your allowances and which bits are for PPA and which for NQT. If you are unsure, ask the LA NQT adviserto help.
    James

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Do you teach 30 hours or is 30 hours the maximum teaching time in EYFS (6x 3HR SESSIONS)?
    iF YOU ARE TEACHING FOR 25HRS 45 MINS, WITH 4HRS 15 mins combine PPA and NQT time, you are being shortchanged on non-contact time.
    With total contact time of 30 hours in the school week, a non-NQT would teach nearly 27.3hrs maximum and have 2.7 hrs minimum PPA.
    An NQT would get an extra2.7 hours NQT time, reducing their contact time to a maximum of 24.6 hours.You should have thew equivalent of almost a day off timetable.
    You could look at the schedule for teachers in the 5+ age range and take another 10% off the maximum timetabled lessons of a non-NQT.
    PPA and NQT needs to be given in regular slots but it doesn't have to be weekly or fortnightly. Some NQTs are sent on day-long courses and use up 2 weeks' allocation of NQT time, teaching more in the following week. Your school could redress the PPA/NQT defecit with half-termly or termly extra days or half days off timetable.
    If EYFS is treated differently and you can't claim parity with teachers in KS1 AND ks2, you will have fewer Directed Time hours spare for the Head to use you outside the timetabled day. You would not have to attend as many meetings/parents' evenings etc as other staff whose pupil day is 25 hours instead of 30.

8. Sounds like I am being shortchanged as well, why am I not surprised?

9. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

It is a statutory requirement so don't put up with it. the time is there to allow you to make the transition into teaching and fully gain from the induction process.

10. Do you work the same amount of hours for 5 days a week. If so it should roughly be equaled to a day. You have to remember to take out any breaks out of your total work hours before you work out the 19%. Hope that helps.