1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non Contact time

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Jo123, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Hi
    i will be teaching (ppa cover) for 2 and half days starting september. I have asked about my non contact time to be told that there is not space in my 2 1/2 days to have it so will be required to have my non contact time on top of my 2 1/2 days. Is this allowed????
    I specifically asked for only 2 1/2 days and no more due to family commitments, surely by them adding my non contact time on top of this will take me over the hours agreed?! they have stated that i will be paid the extra hours (which i really do nnot want extra hours)
    I was under the impression that my non contact time is 10% of my teaching time which is then accounted for in my required hours of 2 1/2 days.
    any advice would be great, should i approach the head again to discuss this? or is my thinking of non contact time wrong???

2. Hi
    i will be teaching (ppa cover) for 2 and half days starting september. I have asked about my non contact time to be told that there is not space in my 2 1/2 days to have it so will be required to have my non contact time on top of my 2 1/2 days. Is this allowed????
    I specifically asked for only 2 1/2 days and no more due to family commitments, surely by them adding my non contact time on top of this will take me over the hours agreed?! they have stated that i will be paid the extra hours (which i really do nnot want extra hours)
    I was under the impression that my non contact time is 10% of my teaching time which is then accounted for in my required hours of 2 1/2 days.
    any advice would be great, should i approach the head again to discuss this? or is my thinking of non contact time wrong???

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Do you plan and prepare the work you teach while covering PPA? If so, then yes indeed you are entitled to planning and preparation time of 10%..... I'm not sure if your head teacher is thinking that because you cover PPA you are not entitled to PPA.....

4. Hi yes i am teaching music across the school so am responsible for the planning and assessments for this area.

5. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

Are they going to pay you for your PPA time? Some schools do this for part timers

6. If you think about it, you can't have non contact time outside your contracted hours!
    If you are given PPA time for your 2 1/2 days that would amount to about an hour or so, which would have to be found from the 2 1/2 days, which almost defeats the object.
    I pay my p/t staff for their PPA time. It's easier for me and they prefer it.

7. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

I do the same. I have a teacher who works two full days covering PPA. If I were to give her PPA, then, for example, the Y4 class she was covering would have her for 2 hours and then some-one else for 30 minutes whilst she had her PPA. Not good for continuity etc. If that were the only option, I'd probably not employ a teacher to cover PPA but use an HLTA. At present 80% of PPA in school, is coverd by qualified teachers (working part time) and 20% by HLTA

So, she, by agreement in this case, works two full days in school and I pay her for 2 days and 2 hours (to cover her PPA). It works for us!

8. If you are having to plan all your lessons for 2 1/2 days covering other peoples PPA, it is probably unlikely that you would get that done in your own PPA time - which would amount to about 1 1/2 hours. So I am assuming that you would probably be doing most of this at home anyway, so why not take the extra money and go home and plan at your own pace in your own environment. I would definitely choose this option.

9. Our PPA teacher works for 2 days. They have their PPA time first thing in the morning when all classes are in assembly. This works out as 2 x40 mins (8.50-9.30) and is actually more than they are strictly entitled to. Is there space in your timetable to do the same? The teachers who have PPA in those mornings don't start their PPA til after assembly so they are responsible for registering their classes and getting them to the hall for assembly.