1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non-contact time SATS KS1?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by spannywinx, May 15, 2011.

1. Hello!
    I have been told that I should get some non-contact time to mark the SATs papers and was told just to find out the amount I am entitled to. This seems slightly too good to be true but am keen to have some time... I just can't find how much... I have looked in the purple 'Assessment and reporting arrangements' pack and also online where they mention supply teachers for cover but no amounts are suggested.
    Does this time exist?! If not, half-term it is!

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Hannah

2. Hi,
    I have had extra release time to complete the reading task and to mark the assessments. This happens each year in my school. There is so much paperwork!
    Tracey

3. We have release time to carry out any reading assessments if needed.
    We have 2 days non contact time on top of that.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The guidance says
    Supply cover

Funding for supply cover for the periods when teachers are engaged in administering
    and marking the tasks and tests or undertaking other activities in making their teacher
    assessment judgements, such as training and moderation, is available within the
    school's overall resources. The headteacher must ensure teachers are given sufficient
    non-contact time to complete these activities.
    It doesn't define "sufficient time"

5. We get none at our school I'm afraid as "it would not be fair - KS2 are doing optional sats too you know." (Hope you get some though!)

6. Msz

The school has money in the budget to cover supply for Y2 teachers to administerthe tests because the reading and maths tasks need 1-1 which isn't the case with KS2 OPTIONAL SATsso it's totally different and fair

7. Thanks Tracey - that's good to know. Just not sure how much to ask for... don't want to seem greedy/lazy!

Good luck with yours x

8. I've just re-freshed and seen all your replies - thank you! Sufficient time would probably be weeks for me...!
    I'll let them know that there is nothing specified. I thought there wasn't but really good to get this confirmed.

Thank you!

9. No problem. I hope they give you some additional time. Good luck with yours too. x

10. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

In Brum, schools are given money in the budget for 4 day's cover to administer and mark tests. It would be worth asking if your LA does this.

11. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Crikey, we do the marking in our PPA time, SATs and any Optional SATs from Yr 2 upwards! Year 2 Tests are administered in class time, with the TA's taking small groups for the reading comprehension and maths. The writing is done instead of the Big Write and it's only the reading task which takes up any teacher time, 2 are carrried out each day during assembly time.
    We're on a tight budget!

12. Msz

We must be on a tighter one because I don't have a TA [​IMG]
    I can manage everything but the tasks in normal teaching time

13. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Our Y2 teacher gets 2.5 days to do reading tasks and mark all the papers.

14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

All our money seems to go on salaries, 4 classes and 6 TAs including 2 1:1's. It does mean the teachers have time to breathe!