1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

non-contact time in an independent school

Discussion in 'Independent' started by poppycat21, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Help! I took on a part time job in a religious independent school on the basis that I was to be responsible for the delivery of the national curriculum in 50% of the day. Am I entitled to any non contact time during my employment hours to perform admin, resourcing, communications etc etc that I can only do whilst on the premises? My employer says I should only use my break times. That I should stay on extra time to complete such tasks. This is impossible for me to do as I have a young baby and have to collect him from the childminder. But I also feel that I should be able to have some release time to perform essential tasks. As it is I don't have time to take a proper break. I'm going back to state education asap!

2. Help! I took on a part time job in a religious independent school on the basis that I was to be responsible for the delivery of the national curriculum in 50% of the day. Am I entitled to any non contact time during my employment hours to perform admin, resourcing, communications etc etc that I can only do whilst on the premises? My employer says I should only use my break times. That I should stay on extra time to complete such tasks. This is impossible for me to do as I have a young baby and have to collect him from the childminder. But I also feel that I should be able to have some release time to perform essential tasks. As it is I don't have time to take a proper break. I'm going back to state education asap!

3. ljr

ljr New commenter

I think you will find that independent schools can make up their own rules. I teach .4 - 2 whole days, but get no non contact time, in fact on one day I have to do break duty & on the other a lunch duty - my only time is after school. I see it that when I was full time I was in school til 5 pm, so nothing has changed and I just stay late to prepare for the next week. At least I have the other 3 days for myself. Are you far away from the school? Years ago I used to pick up my toddler from nursery at 1pm & take her back to school to work in an empty classroom - not ideal but part timers always get a raw deal.

4. v12

v12

It's not just independent schools that pull this 'fast one'.
    My wife does four days (0.8) in a state school and is on a 95% timetable - and her one free is often taken with a cover.
    Not only that, but the INSET days are always arranged to fall on her day off - so she has to attend those as well.

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Any independent school that cared for its reputation would ensure that part-time staff are treated pro rata. However, the OP doesn't say how much non-contact time the full-time staff are allocated. I have a suspicion that she may be in a proprietorial school that always struggled and is now finding it very hard to keep going - in which case, perhaps even the full-time staff don't get much non-contact time.
    This is the sort of thing that I'd recommend anyone considering a job in the independent sector to check out carefully before signing a contract. In the schools in which I worked, virtually all staff had no more than a 2/3 timetable (i.e. 10 non-contact periods in a 30-period week, and those with extra responsibilities often taught less than a half timetable) - but it must be remembered that in the indie sector, some of that non-contact time will disappear in cover for absent colleagues.

6. v12

v12

Even the good HMC/IAPS schools are responding to the financial pinch - my school was similar to your above example several years ago but is now 30/40 with HoDs on 28/40.
    The boarding masters and mistresses have a slightly better deal with 20/40 but they make up for it in so many other ways!

7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Good lord, you're fortunate. My friend works full-time at a prep school, and is lucky to get an hour ppa time per week!

8. Oh great! Doesn't sound like I'll be getting any release time then...! Not only do I get not a shred of non-contact but there is no head or deputy head yet and my employers are expecting me to make managerial decisions and take on huge responsibilities. I took the job as a part time year 1 teacher. After 20 years teaching in state schools I thought it would be a doddle to have a class of 10 girls for half a day each day. When I arrived there weren't even any tables and chairs in the classroom. It took 2 months for bookcases, tray units etc to appear...I'd made do with an array of cardboard boxes up until that point!! Good job my contract is only til August huh!

9. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

KS1 teachers in the prep school I work at get non contact time when their classes are being taught French, Music and Games. They also get lunch break if they are not on duty then. They do however finish at 3.35 compared to us in the Prep school who work until 5.30pm, but then we do get more non contact time.during the day compared to pre-prep colleagues.