1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non-cocntact time and Holidays

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Al-k, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Hi there,

How much non-contact time does a primary school teacher normally get a week?

Also are primary school teachers expected to come into school in their summer holidays for a week to set up their new rooms? Or is this done in term time?

Thank you.

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Is this a single-sex school?

3. WB

WB New commenter

About 1 full day a week in your first year about half a day after that.
    You really do need to come in for a few days in August or you'll suffer.

4. I always go in during the holidays to make sure I am prepared for the new class/year ahead.
    Preparing a room properly during term time is near on impossible!

5. No, this is a coed-primary school.

How many days do you go into school? Is it compulsory? Doesn't the Inset on the first day cover the time you need?

I personally feel it is not right one is forced to come in for up to ten days in the summer holiday?

Half a day a week, so around 4 hours a week?

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

No-one is "forced" to come in, it is not directed time. But our contracts have the "plus any additional time as required" claue and I usually require plenty of additional time! I like to have everything sorted before the new term ( and it takes at least a day to clear out my cupboard[​IMG]) and the Inset day before we start back is usually pretty hectic-if we have one, we are straight back in on the Monday this year.

7. No, one INSET day is not enough. Usually INSET days are directed time with an objective, and not time to organise your classroom.
    It certainly isnt enough time to clear out cupboards, put up new displays, label folders and books, label coat pegs, create class lists, organise role play corners, etc etc.
    Can I ask what your situation is?

8. Of course you may ask my situation....However this is not for me it is for someone else I am helping.

9. WB

WB New commenter

If you're not prepared to work in your holiday you've made a really bad career choice.

10. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I never come in during the summer holiday. Haven't for years. I don't suffer in the slightest. The key word here is 'holiday'.

11. I think a couple of days during the holiday isn't a bad idea.
    I'm about to become an NQT Septemeber, so i'd like to get a few things sorted. During September i'm not sure there is going to be much time to think, let alone preparing lots of resources.
    It all depends on the way in which you work, if you think you will be fine and your classroom is pretty much already sorted.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I work in the holidays, but not as hard as in term time.

I like to clear out my old room in the first week and sort out my new one in the last. Works well for me. I also do a fair bit of planning in the last week, so am up to speed and ready for the new year.

However I do still get about 8-10 weeks of totally free time a year which is hardly a bad deal.

13. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I would rather stick pins in my eyes than go anywhere near my school in the summer hols. 3.40 on the last day and I'm out of there. Not to return until 9 am on the Inset Day, when I just doze through the drivel about guided groups or whatever until I can get to the biscuit tin.

14. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I go in for two or three days over the summer holiday, as I rather like being able to potter about with no-one making demands on my time! I'm more than ready to get back by the last week of the holidays anyway, and I think a few days after a good five weeks of holiday is no biggie.

However, it is not expected of us at my school.

15. It depends on your situation. If you're staying in the same room, then it's easier. During the last week of term I give the kids a booklet of activities to be getting on with, you can then get quite a bit done while they're there. I then find a morning in the last week of the holidays is sufficient to do any last minute bits. Obviously if you're moving rooms or starting at a new school it's a little more tricky as you can't get in until the previous person has got out.

16. Non contact time is 10% of teaching time, which is not 4 hours but more like 2 or 3. We get one afternoon a week (2 hours) and sometimes an afternoon extra. I would say if you want to be prepared in September then you do need to go in the summer but for how long is up to you and how you work.

17. I totally agree - it's called holiday for a reason and I deliberately always go away so that I don't get sucked into doing school work or going in during the hols.
    I don;t suffer in the slightest either - try to manage your time and get as much done before the hols and what doesn;t get done can wait til Sept.

My old HT was brilliant and a real family man. He led by example and the school was completely closed during the holidays to everyone except the caretaker and any workmen.