1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non class contact time rules

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mcgeachy, Nov 29, 2018.

1. mcgeachy

mcgeachy New commenter

If a teacher is out of school on a course during their allocated non-class contact time are they due that time back?

2. BTBAM

BTBAM New commenter

Maybe there's a rule somewhere but in practicality, it's unlikely. You can ask but the head will probably laugh, then write your name down on their 'slacker list' when you leave their room. I know PPA is supposed to be a 'legal' right but it doesn't really matter because no teacher is going to fall on their sword over PPA.

I've lost PPA for behaviour reasons (every third week or so for the last two years, 'so and so just threw a brick at me, get his teacher'), to go on courses, for pupil progress meetings, to meet a member of SLT to scutinise some poor teacher's books etc.

I think of PPA as a luxury and a privilege and if I get it I'm a lucky person, and take it at home whenever possible so they can't snatch it away.

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

If you are an NQT almost certainly not. NQT time is to improve your teaching, in theory the course will do that, so you lose your ‘normal’ non contact that week (in most schools). If it’s PPA and you get the minimum 10%, in theory you should get it back. If it’s anything else it’s probably a grey area.

4. J.M.Powell

J.M.Powell New commenter

Teachers are entitled to 10% of their teaching time as PPA and this time should not be directed. If the teacher is sent on a course then they should get this time back within a 2 week window. This can be tricky to manage in some small schools where there is no capacity to juggle PPA cover. Budgets are tight and supply cover is expensive, so it may be that a teacher is asked to take their PPA in smaller time slots to make up for it. In practice, these must be at least 30 minutes long at a time.

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

secondary usually get their ppa in small bits, which is actually much better than half day chunks as you very rarely get anyone trying to tell you what to do. An hour is usually just right to get a pile of books marked.