1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non Chronological Reports Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pisces77, Apr 2, 2010.

1. pisces77

pisces77 New commenter

Hi there i was wondering if anyone had any examples of their planning for this unit i am struggling to get inspired we have done loads on minibeast in science and literacy not really sure how i could fit the topic of changing materials in the same way. Any ideas greatly appreciated !!!!
    Thanks for reading my post

2. skellig1182

skellig1182 New commenter

We link it either to seasides or great fire of london

3. pisces77

pisces77 New commenter

They sound great ideas thanks

4. I'm a bit puzzled - surely the fire of London is not a non chronological report.
    Please clarify,
    Confused

5. comenius

comenius New commenter

Have you already done non-chronological reports on minibeasts? If so, do you need to do it again for changing materials? I guess you would look at effects of heat, effects of cold, twisting, stretching etc as your different headings.
    I would say Fire of London is a chronological report not non-chronological.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

If you wrote about the events leading to and during the fire it would obviously be chronological but if you wrote about conditions that led to the fire getting out of control - buildings - weather - human error - equipment it could be in the form of a non chronological report.

7. pisces77

pisces77 New commenter

We did minibeasts for really looking and as a starting point for information texts which went into writing about animals. Want to get the non chronoligical report unit done before the second half of summer term . I am just a bit stuck for ideas as to what to base it on. The great fire of london or seaside holidays sound like good ideas.

8. skellig1182

skellig1182 New commenter

Last year I went to Hastings and collected leaflets and bits of information/reports about the area.. i.e entertainment, attractions, eating/drinking, hotels, beaches and transport. We looked at the features and then compared them to an online/ICT website about Brighton. There is also a Honey bee report on Primary resources which you can cut out into strips - kids put them together with sub-headings (a good starter) for an activity.

9. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

10. We have just finished a class project on dinosaurs and so wrote NC reports about different types of dinosaurs. I've also done them linked to sea creatures before as our topic was 'under the sea'. I'd definitely try and make it relevant to what you are teaching in other subject areas.