1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non -allergic dogs!! Do they work?!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by psalm23, Jan 17, 2012.

1. I'd love to have a dog but have always dismissed this idea as I'm allergic to most! Now my children are older and could help seriously with the commitment a dog would mean...I 'm tempted to think about the possibility as several people have mentioned dogs that don't cause allergies , so I guess I' asking who's got one? is it true?! and what kind are they..thanks

2. I'm sure Labradoodles ar 'non allergic'... and Yorkshire terriers (but not 100 per cent sure)

Both types are lovely.

3. And Cockerpoos but you still could be allergic to any breed - you need to do sensivity tests to check with any dog. Hearing Dogs for the Deaf need rehomers for the Labradoodles and Cockerpoos which haven't made the grade but which are well trained healthy dogs.

4. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I believe the Bichon Frise would also fit the bill.

5. My husband is very allergic to animals, and so is my daughter, and we have a Kerry Blue Terrier because of this.
    The problem with the mixed breeds, like labradoodle and cockapoo is you need the poodle genes in the coat. Apparently you can get a litter of labradoodles in which some have a long curly poodle coat and some have a smooth (moulty, dandery) labrador coat. And goodness knows what inbetween. Apparently it's not the moulting that makes you allregic, it's the dander, so you can't assume that every non-moulting breed (i.e. every breed that needs clipping) is non-allergic. There are lists of them online.
    But we're on our second Kerry and nobody is allergic to him. And what bliss not to have doghair in your socks, jumpers, food etc!!

6. I spent 40 mins with my pal's non-allergenic dog before I needed extra anti-histamines, eye drops and inhaler. It's 25 with my mum's dog before I head to the medicine cabinet...another friend has a house which I can't even go in - they have 3 dogs. I'd love a cat, but there's just no way, I'm too allergic [​IMG]
    hope you find one who you can live with...

7. I have a Labradoodle who moults more than my Labrador! No dog is 100% guaranteed anti-allergy! Xx

8. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Yes they do, but they require 6 AA batteries

9. Exactly, that why I said to get tested for the dog you want.

10. suefla

suefla New commenter

We've got a Yorkshire Terrier - he's smashing, as long as I give him a shampoo every week no one has any problems.

11. A tibetan terrier is also fine, it's hair is like wool so no normal allergies and doesnt moult. Hard to find though.

12. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

My eldest is really badly allergic to all animals and my youngest has always been desperate for a pet but its been a no go.
    then my brother got a bichon frise, which I'd never heard off, and we found that my eldest wasn't allergic to her. Its something to do with the oil on the skin apparently.

So my youngest son is now the proud owner of a bichon frise! Shame they're such a girly looking dog though, as he does look rum (he's 6ft 4 tall) taking he rout for a walk!

Be warned though, they are quite high maintenance (need lots of grooming and trips to the groomers) and really hard to housetrain! But we love ours and wouldn't be without her now!)

13. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I think their grooming regime is hard work only if you maintain their 'puffball' look! I know an owner who just keeps the fur short and it's fine.

14. Our family has had 2 Bichon Frises in the past. They are recommended by the National Asthma Trust as they don't moult.

15. my fiance is very allergic to dogs and cats, we have a welsh terrier and a bichon frise and he is fine with both! they are both lovely dogs and we wouldn't be without them! x

16. Thanks everyone, a few to think about there.

17. can i just chip in - rather than, or as well as, getting tested, get close to the breed you are thinking of buying - and on at least 3 separate occasions
    an allergy is for life.....
    or you could get a fishtank instead

18. i tried to add in an edit - have a look at http://www.petuniversity.com/dogs/becoming-a-dog-parent/allergic-to-dogs.htm
    quote: Most people think that pet allergy sufferers are allergic to animal
    hair, but this is not the case. They are actually allergic to allergens
    that are secreted by oil glands and shed with dander (dead skin cells).
    These allergens are also found in canine saliva and urine.

lovely, huh?