1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Non alcoholic drink recommendations please

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lazycat, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Lazycat

Lazycat Senior commenter

I’m driving tonight so won’t be drinking but I can never find a soft drink that I enjoy (I find them too sweet). Any recommendations?

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

As far as alcohol free beers go I wouldn't recommend either Kaliber or Beck's Blue, but sadly they're the ones you're most likely to see in pubs and restaurants. If you're talking about buying it in, I've always been happy with Bavaria, which is found in many supermarkets. There are plenty of others and it's all very subjective to be honest. If fruit juices are too sweet, why not add water?

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Neat water, on the rocks.

4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Just tea, works every time for me!

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

You'll have to make sure the water is soft otherwise that will count as a hard drink.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Tonic with a dash of Angostura Bitters.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Lime and sofa.

slingshotsally, Lara mfl 05 and Lalad like this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

That sounds divan. :D

9. Lazycat

Lazycat Senior commenter

Beck’s Blue once gave me a horrible ‘hangover’ - a headache and strange taste in my mouth - not pleasant! I haven’t tried Bavaria before - I might give that a try

10. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Variation on a theme - sparkling water, bit of lemonade and angostura bitters.

11. Lazycat

Lazycat Senior commenter

That’s usually what I resort to when driving, I just wish more places did decaf, I seem to be very sensitive to caffeine and just one cup of tea after 6pm can keep me awake for hours

slingshotsally and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. gargs

gargs Star commenter

Duchess and Seedlip do virgin g&t

emerald52, slingshotsally and Lazycat like this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Set 'ee down and stop straining for a reply.

slingshotsally and nomad like this.
  14. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Becks Blue is pretty bland but it's what I drink at home for 50p a bottle working out at just over £1.00 a pint. When I go to the local pub it's £4.60 for two bottles in a pint glass but they've stopped selling it because I don't go in the pub enough. They tried to sell me some non alcoholic brown stuff starting with 'B' and wanted me to drink it out of some vessel 18 inches high that looked like it belonged in a laboratory.

My response "just give me two bottles and a pint glass".

Pubs are like youth clubs these days with no jukebox, no smoking, the smell of 'Chef's Larder mince and with awful décor filled with vacuous people and blaring screens transmitting football.

It's like Dante's 'Inferno'.

It's no place for a non drinker and even worse if you drink alcohol.

Just stay at home.

15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Fever tree tonic comes in a range of flavours.
    I second lime and soda. I prefer the sofa to sit on.
    St Clements

16. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Lol I have to say Lime and Soda is my drink of choice when I'm driving - tangy and not sickly. I must try it with a sofa now!

17. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Milk. Its good enough for babies, you never see them pi$$ed (mind you they can't walk).

slingshotsally and towncryer like this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Stupid ruddy phone!

*mutter mutter*

slingshotsally, nomad and Lazycat like this.
  19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Ginger ale? Dandelion and burdock?

slingshotsally and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Bitter lemon used to be my non-alcoholic beverage of choice but you don't see it much anymore and if you do, it's in a titchy bottle so ends up costing £6 a pint.
    Have you ordered Fevertree in a bar recently? I was charged £3.30 for a bottle I could fit in my eye. I thought they'd misheard me and put a gin in it. No.

If this government had any remote interest in public health, they'd subsidise soft drinks in bars and restaurants. They could use the sugar tax to fund it.

emerald52, slingshotsally and InkyP like this.