1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

noisy puppy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Tara Jane, Mar 3, 2012.

1. She is now 21 weeks - things going ok. She goes in her crate at night, when she wakes up she barks (this is at a reasonable hour of 6.15 - 6.30). i get out of bed to let her out - but obviously need to go to toilet etc and she continues barking (as she can hear me). I only let her out when she is quiet. Any tips on how to stop this barking? Am I too late?

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

If the crate is in the kitchen, potter around making your coffee or whatever and don't give her ANY attention at all until, don't speak to her or look at her. until she is quiet, as soon as she is quiet then let her out.
    Persevere with it or, as you have discovered, she soon learns "I bark" = "I get what I want as soon as i want it"

3. She is still very young, and you seem to be doing the right thing. Don't reward her by going to her straight away when barking, and don't make a huge fuss of her when letting her out of her cage.
    You could also try teaching her a "Quiet!" command. Pick some hand gestures that you want to use, and reinforce them with the word quiet. As soon as she is quiet, immediately make the gesture and say the word "Quiet" and most importantly give her a high value treat - a piece of chicken, cheese etc.
    She should fairly quickly move on to learning to be quiet on command. Continue to reward with a treat until, she is doing it reliably and then withdraw the treat and just use the gesture, the command and praise.