1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Noisy out of control kids everywhere you look...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SIRFRANK, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Seems to be the recurring theme over my Easter Break, whether in a pub beer garden, on a train, bus, in a shop,....just totally out of control alongside cra.p parents who have not one clue and thinks the rest of society should indulge them in the 'ah arent they sweet' mentality-in a word no, just a pain the ar.se. I know for a fact with good parenting children can be trained from a very very early age to sit and behave in a public setting rather than tearing through places at a 100mph screaming their heads off
    I often wonder why as a taxpayer my money goes to parents through child benefit when it was their choice to have them and my choice to not. I wonder why as a dog owner I might not be entitled the same benefit for the upkeep, food, shelter training etc of my animal.

And before I get any twee replies about them being the future...with 20 people going for every job at the moment I very much doubt it....

2. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Glad I'm not the only one who feels the same! If you can't afford to raise a child without child benefit, then don't have one. Simple.

3. I just wonder which day at school I missed that said have what you cant afford and other people who dont have one will help you pay for it....

4. It's a job to them lot. Have a kid, get a house and paid for dragging it up.
    I'm a parent and I'm due to hand in my notice soon to take more time out to raise my son. I am receiving child benefit as everyone does but I saved my a$$ off to afford this extra time off and would never expect anyone else to fund it.

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I think primary teachers should be issued with guns and be expected to cull at least a child a year.

6. so long as we get to choose which one[​IMG]

7. bacardibreezer

bacardibreezer New commenter

It's not just the kids of chavvy parents either, is it? It seems impossible to have a conversation with any of my parent friends at the moment because their kids have to be in on everything they do. Even a short telephone call ends up with me gritting my teeth because some snotty little sprog "wants to say hello to auntie BB'" then proceeds to bore me to death for ten minutes.
    And as for clothes shopping - is there any decent clothes shop where the staff have the balls to stop kids screaming and running around and wiping their sticky, snotty fingers all over the merchandise? And am I the only one who, on hearing those parents who have to expalin everything in loud, enunciated tones before their kids still refuse to do as they're told wants to shout at them, "Just shut the **** up!"?
    I like the idea of shooting certain kids in primary school, but some parents need to die as well [​IMG]

8. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

So surely you part of the "problem" perceived by the OP?

9. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Then again, lots of people who didn't go to university helped to fund the education of those who did (pre loans obviously). And lots of people who don't smoke help to fund NHS treatment for those who get lung cancer because of smoking.
    Just trying to be Devil's Advocate. I actually despise having to put up with other people's noisy children whilst I'm trying to enjoy a nice quiet holiday.

10. Since I entered teaching I have felt that to be a parent you should have a license and that only those who pass a test should be allowed to go and conceive.
    I never felt like this before I bcame a teacher but I honestly feel this is the way to go and as every year passes my belief grows that little bit stronger.....

11. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Children are much more likely than your dog to grow up and be productive members of society. When they do, they will help to fund the next generation of snot goblins.

12. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

My dad says exactly the same thing. He is in the prison service!

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Yes. It's absolutely ludicrous that society hasn't reached this stage yet.

14. couldn't agree more - could give you my list, in order of preference, right now

15. If only we could thrash them........

16. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I've just come back from 10 days in Tunisia. We spent the first part of the holiday travelling around, staying in hotels in town centres, medinas etc that happened to be child free (apart from Cariadlet).
    But we finished off with a couple of days at a seaside hotel where everybody else seemed to be on a package tour. I've never seen so many badly behaved kids in my life. They were allowed to help themselves from the buffet, and would touch food and then put it back. In the evenings they ran riot - charging around the lobby and bars, jumping over chairs, banging away on the piano. Absolutely unbelievable.
    They were all French or German, so it's not just British parents that are too ignorant and inconsiderate to discipline their kids. It wasn't too bad for us, as I tried to keep Cariadlet to normal bedtimes, and so we went back to our rooms early anyway. But I felt really sorry for the childless people (and the rare families with well behaved children), who wanted to sit and relax, and have a quiet drink and chat of an evening.

17. lurk_much

It is better than that. I think they should be allowed a little freedom to play while they have chance. I was under the impression we had mortgaged their future, our younger generation's children will drown under a burden of debt, they will have to struggle all their lives to pay it off while the baby boomers will leave them all homeless because we have all the world's money tied up in our ludicrously oversized and overpriced property.

18. lurk_much

Now lily, you know that damages the poor dears.

19. Ooooh, just look at all the Mumsnet readers having apoplectic fits....[​IMG]
    There seems to be no middle ground.
    Either parents are screaming foul-mouthed abuse at their out-of-control charges (who'll turn into the feral kids we so love to teach) or Mummy and Daddy spend half an hour explaining things slowly (and loudly so we can all hear how middle class and right-on they are) to their spoilt brats who take no notice anyway.
    I suppose the decent parents who make an effort do it consistently, quietly and firmly so aren't noticed as much. Those who only react because their kids are being complete pains wherever they go tend to be ineffective. I am sure we've all had to scold our children when out but it's amazing the number of parents who only make their presence felt when the child is bothering THEM. If it bothers others they don't seem to care.
    Whatever happened to "I said NO. Stop it right now and come here."? It worked for me and I did it consistently. I'd have hated my children to have been a nuisance to others. It didn't seem to damage their little egos, suffocate their creativity or stifle their natural curiosity.

20. twice tonight in a restaurant we had to ask teenagers to be quiet! Their parents where with them!!