1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Noisy neighbours... am I being unreasonable?!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Shifter, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Go round with an LP and a bottle of Mateus

2. Last weekend the music started at 730am on Saturday morning.

Am I STILL being unreasonable?

3. Keep a log of start and finish times and make a complaint to council.

4. I am. They've sent me a diary to keep, The OP is today's entry.

5. No, you are not being unreasonable.
    If it is a house with flats, then all need to take consideration of the other occupants.
    Keep logging, as you are doing.
    A short spirt of loud music is tolerable, even with shaking floors. A party now and then, is tolerable, even if annoying.
    But for this to happen constantly, is not.
    If someone, for example, works shifts, the time of day makes no difference. If you have come home early morning from work and need sleep, the last thing you need is music blaring during the morning.
    I know you don't work shifts, but the principle is the same.

6. THANK YOU!!!! I was honestly starting to think I was being totally unreasonable in my demands. I get up at 6am every weekday, like most teachers so appreciate a bit of quite of a weekend. We live in a purpose built block but the walls are paper thin. So much so I can hear word for word conversations at night. This wouldn't be as bad, as you say if it was a one off but three weekends in a row? That after a month of police banging on her door at all hours looking for her ex boyfriend who in turn turns up at all hours calling her all sorts and the fact that they are council tenants who don't even have to pay rent but ruin MY weekends when I work all week... is just too much.

By the way, nothing against council tenants per se, my two sisters are BOTh council tenants. But they are reasonable ones who respect their neighbours and look after their proeprties, not ones who leave rubbish everywhere, annoy their neighbours and make life a living hell.

I now have a stonking headache. Great start to my holiday,

7. Our neighbour's son is presently blasting out loud music in the driveway, as he washes his father's car. It isn't even good music!!
    It is honestly giving me a headache, as it is a beautiful sunny day , and too warm to have the windows closed.
    The irony of the situation is, that were it someone else blasting music, our neighbours would be the first to complain!

8. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

disguise, invite her into your flat so she can hear for herself just how loud the music is.
    This will show her that you not just being 'sensitive' or exaggerating the problem.

9. Get some Opera, Country, whatever you think won't float their boat and play it back at them.
    Selfish ***.
    Oh and put yours on just before you go out to work/for the evening then leave it on till you get back.

10. This is a good idea.

11. I've tried that myself in the past and the response was 'so what?'
    Given what you say on your other thread, I think you should put all your energies into getting them evicted. Why should you move when they are the problem? Annoy the council on a daily basis if necessary!

12. Not if they are not suscetible to noise and have a different tolerance threashhold.
    It is worth a try, but might not work.

13. Surely everyone else in the block suffers too? Have you spoken to any other residents Disguise? Perhaps they are suffering in silence. Many people have qualms about facing selfish ignoramuses...(sp?)
    There is a law about noise nuisance so do keep a log. There used to be a Noise Abatement Officer in local government offices, (I think they still exist, even with all the cuts) so you don't even have to go to the police.
    Best wishes. It's an awful problem. (I get annoyed if I sit too near anyone listening to their music on headphones. If there is a tinny hiss or beat because they have it on loud volume it drives me mad.)

14. Stay on the case. Ring up Noise Abatement and the council at least weekly to keep your complaint at the top. Keep the log. Write them a letter, saying that you are constant;y disturbed by the volume of their music and that it is distressing and upsetting you,as you don;t wish to be on bad terms with them. Make a copy. Log it.
    You are certainly not unreasonable. Our quality of life was ruined by the girls who lived next dor to us - slamming taxis, screaming up the drive, putting music on and screaming away at 2, 3 4 in the morning. The next day all we'd get is that they were (a) pissed and (b) students so for some reason it didn't count.
    It won't take long to get to the point where you become unreasonable. I used to plan for ages when I'd been woken up how i could set fire to their house without being caught and thus get them out of it.

15. I used to blu tack their bell down on my way out!
    I also complained to the housing dept of the University - a lot.
    I did stop another neighbour breaking their door in with a baseball bat - and made sure they knew how close they had come to having a HUGE mess to tidy up.
    We occasionally turned off their electricity - somehow they never figured out the main/isolator switch was in the communal cupboard!!
    Most cruelly I laughed like a drain when one of them missed an assignment deadline - she had been up until 4 in the morning getting it finished - rushed out to hand it in early only to find she was 24 hours late! I was on the same course as her and had passed her the afternoon before - on my way to hand mine in!!
    Noise is one of the most insidious of weapons a neighbour can deploy - complain away!

16. Thanks all, I did think about getting her up here to feel the floor vibrate.

I also asked the guy next door to her today if he heard it and he said he vaguely hears it but since they have stairs between them it doesn't seem as loud to him.

I just find it truly frustrating that somehow the fact it's a 'weekend' makes up for it all.

I would dearly love to get them evicted, but having contacted the council about my next door neighbour because he was subletting I know it's very hard to do this. He never got evicted, althought his 'tenants' did. His front door is now smashed in and he's no where to be seen, another reason selling my flat will become an issue. Frankly, no one will want to live here what with the noise, his smashed front door and everything else.
    And to top off my day, my hot water is not working and I may need a new boiler.... it's just peachy being me today. The only thing keeping me from falling into a puddle of tears is the sunshine.

17. Would you be able to borrow a data logger from school to record the sound levels. You could quote the results in any correspondence with the council. I do sympathise; other people's noise is very stressful.

18. Yep.. Leave it set up. A colleague did this with temperature to get her landlord to fix the heating.

19. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

There should be a number you can phone for excessive noise, look on your local council's website.

20. casper

casper New commenter

It is then Environmental Health Department you need to contact and keep a log of everything.