1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

noisy neighbours - advice needed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by vickyrae1970, Aug 27, 2011.

  1. vickyrae1970

    vickyrae1970 New commenter

    just want some advice . the people who live below me are playing music very loudly and the music is coming through my floor - i have been down to speak to them on two occasions about this - i was polite ; however , they have continued . i have contacted the estate management company for my building as they are flouting the tenanacy agreement about noise , but last night the music went on late and if it happens again , i am wondering if i should ring the police ? with it being the bank holiday - i can't see the estate management company getting back to me til next week .
  2. cinnamonsquare

    cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

    We've have a similar situation in our block of flats. We were advised to contact Environmental Health, not the police. Not sure what they did but we've had no issues since!
  3. They can threaten to remove the noise making equipment!
    Friend of Climbers had his very expensive stereo removed about a year ago. He was furious.
    I had/have no sympathy he must have been making his neighbours lives hell. I would have reported him!
  4. Crowbob

    Crowbob Established commenter

    Don't phone the police, they have better things to do.
  5. vannie

    vannie Star commenter

    ithink you'd be lucky to find anyone at environmental health at the weekend. Unless your council has an emergency number.
    I would log dates / times and get in touch with the council on Tuesday if you can't reach them today.
    You could ring the police for information - not the emergency number but the local number for your nearest police station. As far as I know though they won't be able to do anything.
  6. Henriettawasp

    Henriettawasp New commenter

    OH used to work in Environmental Health and dealt with noise nuisances. Best advice is to keep a noise diary and contact Env Health on Tuesday (sorry - your local council probably won't have an emergency number for this type of complaint [​IMG]. BUT we are lucky in that they hardly ever (once or twice in 10 years I think) play it late at night and have always turned it down when asked. I also have a sort of rule that I let it go for an hour before going and spoiling their fun (unless it is late in the evening).
    Are there any other neighbours who might also be bothered by the noise and who might be prepared to go with you to speak to the noisy ones?
    No, you're right - police will not act on noise although in very severe cases may accompany Env Health officers if they need to seize equipment from a property.

  7. I would like to second the environmental health suggestions. We found them incredibly useful when we were having problems with our neighbour. He wasn't making any noise, but he was lighting fires in his cellar and throwing urine out of the kitchen window. The police and the fire brigade were powerless, but environmental managed to get him to stop with just one letter.
  8. kibosh

    kibosh Star commenter

    [​IMG] Why?

Share This Page