1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Noisy 'grumbly' tummy

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by suem75, Dec 12, 2011.

1. suem75

suem75 New commenter

My tummy has gurgled and grumbled away all afternoon. In a silent exam hall, while invigilating. This is nothing new - it does it often, usually when I'm in a deathly quiet room. Basically, I know it's gas rattling around my bowels and I blame it on having ulcerative colitis - or on the meds I take for UC and the highish fibre diet I need to follow to keep healthy.
    Is there anything I could try eating/drinking to stop the embarrassing noises? They seem to be related to the process of digestion and only occur after eating. Fasting all day is not an option ;-)

2. suem75

suem75 New commenter

My tummy has gurgled and grumbled away all afternoon. In a silent exam hall, while invigilating. This is nothing new - it does it often, usually when I'm in a deathly quiet room. Basically, I know it's gas rattling around my bowels and I blame it on having ulcerative colitis - or on the meds I take for UC and the highish fibre diet I need to follow to keep healthy.
    Is there anything I could try eating/drinking to stop the embarrassing noises? They seem to be related to the process of digestion and only occur after eating. Fasting all day is not an option ;-)

3. I have IBS-D and when it's bad I get terrible windy/gurgling/glugging noises from my intestines - it's so embarrassing! The only thing that helps me with this is activated charcoal tablets, from the health food shop. However taking them at the right time is the key thing - took me ages to work it out. You should only take them 1.5 hours after a meal and 1.5 hours before a meal - so I tend to take them at morning break. My worst noises are usually in the late afternoon/evening and taking them at this time stops that. If you're getting noises earlier in the day you may want to take them first thing in the morning or last thing at night. Please just check you're OK to take them with UC first though, as they can make you constipated (no chance of that with IBS-D). Hope this helps!