1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Noise levels

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mrsmeg, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Just wondering what signal other people use to get the attention of the class? I put my hand in the air until every child in the class does the same...I can get very achey arms at times though!

2. Just wondering what signal other people use to get the attention of the class? I put my hand in the air until every child in the class does the same...I can get very achey arms at times though!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not sure what age you teach, but there is a thread on early years at the moment asking the exact same question.

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/598434.aspx?PageIndex=1

Most ideas could work for any age in primary.

4. My absolute fave (works with reception, year 6 or getting the attention of the whole school) is clapping a rhythm. You clap a SHORT rhythm (eg long long short short long) and they copy you. Then you clap a different one. IN a classroom it should only ever take 2 rhythm patterns. Max 4 in a noisy hall!

5. <font size="2">
    </font> I agree- this has worked well for me with children I have taught across KS2 and will carry on using it this year too.

Another method used to a similar effect (not used it personally) is to shake a tambourine with those metal bells/jingles on.

Depending on the children you teach, it is worth noting that audio stimulus can be a discomfort to some, and a visual approach may be better- I had a lecturer (taught KS1/2) who said he only ever stood up, put his arms out straight and wiggled his fingers which was a signal for his class to do the same; he said this method meant that every child's hands became free and eye contact was on you without using any method that increased the noise level (however temporary).