1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Noise levels in class - solution?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hezzy_pie, Feb 7, 2012.

1. I have recently come to accept that my year 3/4 class are very noisy and there's not a lot I can do about it! I have spoken to all their previous teachers and they had exactly the same problem no matter what methods they tried!
    It is not the case that they are not learning anything or getting on, but I think they could get on better and concentrate more if the noise levels in class were lower.
    Does anybody have a magic solution they have tried and works? I don't want to demand silence as this just doesn't work. I was thinking of perhaps getting a traffic light noise monitor? I saw them used in a school once to reduce noise levels in the dinner hall and they seemed to work quite well. However I am struggling to find a traffic light noise monitor online.
    Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated x

2. I have recently come to accept that my year 3/4 class are very noisy and there's not a lot I can do about it! I have spoken to all their previous teachers and they had exactly the same problem no matter what methods they tried!
    It is not the case that they are not learning anything or getting on, but I think they could get on better and concentrate more if the noise levels in class were lower.
    Does anybody have a magic solution they have tried and works? I don't want to demand silence as this just doesn't work. I was thinking of perhaps getting a traffic light noise monitor? I saw them used in a school once to reduce noise levels in the dinner hall and they seemed to work quite well. However I am struggling to find a traffic light noise monitor online.
    Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated x

3. I also have a very noisy class this year - with the same reputation throughout school as yours!
    I have a 'noiseometer' on my board which has three 'warning light' stickers. The children are told they are allowed to whisper to each other, and evgery time the noise goes above an aceptable level, they get one red light. If they get to three, they forfeit the right to whisper and have to work silently until I say otherwise.
    Works for my class (year 5). It does depend on my ruthlessly enforcing the rule though (and being prepared to enforce the complete silence bit as well).

4. New rule...u cannot speak until u hav the teachers permission or introduce 'partner voices' feel free to email me at dragonay@hotmail.co.uk for further resources

5. My class have become very noisy lately too, since we put them into literacy and numeracy groups (meaning they move rooms alot and are less settled throughout the day). I may try the idea with the 3 red lights, thanks!

6. I had human noise monitors on each table. I chose ones that were normally quite noisy and a bit bolshy! We would set an acceptable noise level before the task so the chn knew what was expected. If the noise rose above the acceptable level I.e. partner voices, I would simply say Noise monitors and they would hush their table. The monitors loved their bit of power plus it meant they were not making as much noise as they used to! If a group were continually noisy, they missed a playtime, no quibbles. Eventually, the mere mention of the phrase Noise monitors would hush them automatically. Honestly, my 3/4 class really responded and lots more classes took it on after an observation by the Head-she loved how the chn responded to each other.

7. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

8. Fantastic idea! I will use this.

9. Cut out 3 large circles- one Red, Amber and Green. ~Stick onto a large piece of cardboard that is rectangular in shape.
    Cut out an arrow.
    Stick the arrow with bluetac towards R, A or G depending on noise level required.
    Voila....noisometer cheap and cheerful.

10. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I think it's ictgames.co.uk that has an online noise meter and it works through the mic in the computer. I used this with a class that was noisy and I told them that if the needle moved into the red box, I would take away 5 minutes of golden time. It really worked as it was so visual, they could instantly see the needle moving and would ssh the talker or stop themselves. Of course the first week they did lose some golden time, but this was good as they understood the message!

11. Thanks so much for all these ideas folks, I'm really looking forward to trying them out!
    I'm really impressed by the one you've suggested upsadaisy, I've been searching and searching for a computerized noise monitor and was willing to pay but the 'CalmCounter' you have suggested (from ictgames.com) is brilliant and actually works - my partner thinks I'm crazy because I keep turning the tv up and down to test it!
    If I remember, I will let you know which strategies worked and which didn't for those of you out there who have the same problem as me!

12. Really like this idea thanks x

13. I think it's ictgames.co.uk that has an online noise meter and it works through the mic in the computer. I used this with a class that was noisy and I told them that if the needle moved into the red box, I would take away 5 minutes of golden time. It really worked as it was so visual, they could instantly see the needle moving and would ssh the talker or stop themselves. Of course the first week they did lose some golden time, but this was good as they understood the message![/quote
    Thanks for this idea x

14. An idea to use alongside some of the others is to switch the lights off - really gets their attention but obviously not for continual peace in the class just enough to get attention x

15. I have a fairly noisy year 4 class too.
    I find that this works well. I have relaxing instrumental music playing quietly in the class and the rule is if they can't hear the music it's too loud. When the noise level does go up I ask them if they can hear the music. It helps them to realise when the class is too loud by using their own ears too. (Now that they're trained) I often hear the children saying to each other shh I can't hear the music. They also ask for the music on if I forget because they say it helps them to know how noisy is too noisy. Hope it helps.

16. I teach primary art, so I am limited as to consequences I can enforce, eg. I can't keep most classes back as they are returning to class and consider it a treat. I like the idea of the background music and will give it a go. Most of my classes are fairly noisy and I feel the children could be working faster and achieving better results with less conversation. Any suggestions from this subject area would be great!

17. Hi everybody,I teach 4 year six classes maths,one of them is really noisy.does anyone think that shuffeling children around helps sometimes?,specially that many of you said that these classes have been noisy allthrough their previous years as well.

18. Shuffling them can help as some children are especially noisy when sitting with their friends etc. Having said that, some classes just are noisier than others. Mine has a particularly high number of children who lack self control, and so are more prone to shouting out/silliness etc. There are a lot of children with piercing or 'loud' voices, which they find hard to moderate. There are a couple of children with ADHD who are impulsive.
    They are very different to last years class, but I have done what I can by making sure the children are seated very carefully, so the worst offenders are as far away from each other as possible.

19. Dear Kentishlass, this is a wonderful idea, I worked with different age groups, from KG1 to year 7 now, and I assure you that this method will work with all those, even older, but all what you need to do is change the reward according to the age group....thanks a lot for sharing this lovely idea....