1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Noise in class

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by TEACHER16, Apr 20, 2011.

1. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I do the clapping already but I feel the children do not always respond: some continue to chat and some do not even clap the same rythem back to me. I also try the putting the hand up trick but it takes far too long.
    I just feel its getting worse and I am not the only teacher who thinks this.

2. Hi Teacher16, my P7 class can be this way too - the clap a rhythm does generally work but for a while didn't. I started writing the time lost from breaks up on the board in 30sec intervals, as it was most of the class, they all stayed in - only needed to do it twice, and they were silent when in as extra time could be added. Worth a try if it is all of them. Now it is just individuals as and when needed. Good luck, it can be hard work:(

3. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

I whisper when the class are noisy. It takes a while for the class to get used to and took loads of practice but they are finally tuning into my voice. If you shout, and I'm not saying you do, all it does is send the message to the kids that shouting is fine as Miss is doing it and you are contributing to the noise.
    Some good suggestions already mentioned, I use or have done.
    I also use times during the week when we are scheduled to use the playroom as reminders that if the children don't meet expectations, we won't visit the playroom. Slightly more controversial method and I only use it in extreme circumstances but it works!

4. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

I like the idea of the counting and writing the number on the board I think I will give this a go tomorrow. Its not all the children but I have to say they can never do a task quietly. They always have to be speaking to the person beside them or across their table. I know a class should never be silent but this class really are chatterboxes. It really isnt any fun for any one and often children come out to me and say they have a sore head...I feel like saying join the club!!!

5. Hi TEACHER 16
    I always find that non verbal cues (actions) work really well, as you do not have to add to or compete with the noise level already in class. A really common cue is just to put your hand up when you want attention. Don't say anything, and don't necessarily feel you have to be at the front of the class. As the children spot you they stop and put their hand up too. The hands start shooting up, the noise level automatically drops and you'll find that if there is any last noise it drops to a whisper pretty quick before they pop their hands up to. I used to give a stamp on a chart for the first child to spot me and keep it fun by changing the actions every now and again.
    Those giant pairs of joke glasses can do the trick too. Just pop them on yourself to exaggerate you want all eyes on you and you are 'looking' for who is ready. In the same vein, a pair of big ears are great fun to wear when encgouraging good listening skills in your class.
    Speaking and listening go hand in hand and as they need to do both during lessons, I think you would find it useful to agree a general acceptable noise limit for their voices, depending on the types of activity they are doing. eg just a whisper or slience for reading, normal voices for group work, and loud audible voices for speaking to an audience. The children will soon recognise when it is appropraite to use their 'outside' voices and when its not!!
    So this resource might be useful for you. We've called it the Speaking & Listening Noise Meter and it can be used in what ever way you choose really. It is fantastic as a display, as it comes with a banner and moving arrow that can be moved along the scale from quiet sounds on the red side of the rainbow, getting quieter through to indigo when they are just looking. Move the arrow to where you expect the noise level to be for the task and refer abcl to it as a gentle reminder if needed. Children love moving the arrow along so you could link this privelidge to how well they do with it.
    [​IMG]
    Another super way to use it if your short on display space is to just use the single page you need at that time. Display actually on the IWB, flash it up in between slides as a reminder of expectations when changing type of activity eg.... carpet to tables....as noise can easily creep up at times like this. Or simply print off, laminate and put up next to the objective when they are working so they know what they are learning and it clearly what the expectations are for how loud/quiet they need to be.
    We love it and hope that you will too. Hope this helps:) Sam
    The Instant Classroom

Don't miss out!!! If you like resource, why not pop along and be part of our Royal Wedding celebration giveaway!! Everyone who takes part will be emailed a randomly chosen free resource ... it might even be the noise meter :)
    [​IMG][/URL]