1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Noise from workmen outside

Discussion in 'Personal' started by shy anne, Feb 27, 2012.

1. The sound of the TV is being drowned by the noise of electricity engineers working outside my house - I know it is an emergency and they have to sort out the problem but the noise is beginning to go through me. There is an arc light shining right into my bedroom (a bungalow) as they need to light up the work area so I am thinking of moving into the back room to sleep on the settee!
    Mind you, I was worried last night so am pleased that it is a fault in an outside cable that was making the explosive noises rather than my fuse box! My lights began flickering while I was in bed reading and then I thought I could hear a fizzing noise from the fuse box in the garage - right by my bed headboard! So at 1.00am, there I was, in my dressing gown and slippers going out to the garage to check things. Just as I got outside, the power went off in the street lights but luckily my house was still OK - lucky because I have an electric garage door and need a special key to get in if there is no power!
    While I was outside, I heard a soft explosive sound, like distant gunfire but had no idea what it was so went back to bed, sort of expecting to wake up to a power cut. It turns out there was a fire in the underground cable - wonder if that was what I heard last night? Anyway, they will be working through the night to fix it so I don't expect to get much sleep tonight!!

2. The sound of the TV is being drowned by the noise of electricity engineers working outside my house - I know it is an emergency and they have to sort out the problem but the noise is beginning to go through me. There is an arc light shining right into my bedroom (a bungalow) as they need to light up the work area so I am thinking of moving into the back room to sleep on the settee!
    Mind you, I was worried last night so am pleased that it is a fault in an outside cable that was making the explosive noises rather than my fuse box! My lights began flickering while I was in bed reading and then I thought I could hear a fizzing noise from the fuse box in the garage - right by my bed headboard! So at 1.00am, there I was, in my dressing gown and slippers going out to the garage to check things. Just as I got outside, the power went off in the street lights but luckily my house was still OK - lucky because I have an electric garage door and need a special key to get in if there is no power!
    While I was outside, I heard a soft explosive sound, like distant gunfire but had no idea what it was so went back to bed, sort of expecting to wake up to a power cut. It turns out there was a fire in the underground cable - wonder if that was what I heard last night? Anyway, they will be working through the night to fix it so I don't expect to get much sleep tonight!!

3. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Poor you! I hope they fix it quickly and you do get some sleep x

4. There are now 11 vehicles outside, from vans to diggers to a huge truck with massive cable drums on!! Looks as if they will be there for hours yet!! The hole in the pavement just seems to be getting deeper - I might not be able to get my car off the drive tomorrow!!

5. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

So fortunate to live in a society where emergencies are dealt with quickly and efficiently by professionals. Instead of bemoaning your lot, praise be you are so lucky.

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

That's what I was thinking - just be glad it's being fixed.