1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nobody interested in the Motor Racing this year?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jacob, May 27, 2011.

1. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

We had a thread last year.
    Personally I try to watch all the F1 and MotoGP races as I am interested in both. Monaco always throws up some unexpected results. Will it be Alonso? Vettel? Or lewis or Jenson? Is Valentino Rossi a spent force?
    (Jacob, Friday night, nowt on t'telly)

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I'd rather watch televised stamp collecting

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Always try to watch. We had a holiday in Monaco a few years back and drove my car round the 'circuit'. Of course I had to stop for traffic lights and there were cars coming the othr way. Also Mrs blazer wouldn't let me put my nearside wheels onto the curb on the inside of the Mirabeau (as there was a truck coming up the hill)! I did manage to reach 50 through the tunnel though!
    The bit round the swimming pool is actually a car park when they are not racing, you have to go in the entrance on one side and drive through, you pop out the other end by the Ras Cas,

A former colleague lived in Monaco for a time and taught at the International School which is on the harbour by the Ras Cas. She said that the week before the race they had to close the school as you could not get to it because the course isolated that end of the harbour.

It was her apartment that we borrowed for the fortnight we had there. 2 weeks rent free with a sea view. Her husband's employer paid the rent but the apartments were 1.2 Million Euros to buy! 1 bedroom and no garden or pool!

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I actually think Monaco is the worst race of the year, as the pole sitter usually wins. Although these fall-apart tyres will make life interesting as the do just that.
    I prefer Spa and Imola. It will, of course, rain at Silverstone.

5. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Howay, jacob - me and Baubs have tried our best!
    But this weekend me and the bloke will mostly be doing this:
    http://www.jimclarkrally.com/
    Mega exciting!

6. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

It doesn't seem to have much narrative anymore.
    It no longer engages me.
    Pity really because it was a great way to avoid doing anything on a Sunday afternoon.

7. anon468

anon468 New commenter

8. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

We do the MCN fantasy road race. I think Rossi will do better as the season goes on, after all he has just made a big change. Although he isn't in my 'team', (I couldn't afford him with my other selections) I think he's a brilliant rider.
    Grand Prix always sends me to sleep [​IMG]

9. I love the GP and attempt to watch them but, like Guinesspuss, I usually doze off sometime after the first couple of laps and wake up just as they have finished. I like all the pre-race rubbish that goes on, particularly watching Eddie Jordan's hair(piece) evolving over the season. Hamilton's tantrums when he f*cks it up are always worth watching too.

10. It's over-hyped. The only way they can try to nmake it interesting is to make the tyres "fall apart". Dullsville. If you want to up the overtaking, make the winners of the race start from the back of the grid at the next one, and so on so the first retiree starts on pole.
    I am so appalled that the BBC went for F1 rather than test cricket. At least cricket is our national sport.

cyolba, lazing in bed and praying for a Barca victory :)

11. Qualifying, beer, Dr. Who, beer ,Cup Final, beer...what more can a man ask ?

12. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Oh I'm sure there's something!

13. No women present, baubsy?

cyolba, giving the beer a miss :)

14. Oh and the first Test to dip in and out of plus beer.

15. Not unless they have a spare key to my televisual boudoir...time and place, Cy, time and place.

16. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

As we seem to be constantly suffering from horrendous wind (the weather, not me) I can't take my own bike out, so I tend to watch the motor racing in one form or another. Except British Touring cars which is boring, and jason Plato only wins because his nose crosses the line first. Cricket is nearly as boring as golf.
    Anybody going to see the new film about Senna? I can't as I do not see in 3D (binocluar vision) so it would just look weird. I am hoping it will come out on DVD in a version for the spawny of eye. Same with the Guy Martin TT film.
    I didn't realise Eddie Jordan wears a syrup? I'll have to look more closely. Bernie Ecclestone certainly does.

17. Eddie's is brilliant. In fact I think he has three or four of differing lengths.

Just watching DC's track walk . It seems strange to see a bus coming the "wrong" way up the exit from Tunnel.

Didn't see Mrs. Blazer though. :¬))

18. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Will definitely take a look at the Senna film. Didn't realise they were making it in 3D though. How annoying.
    I didn't know about Eddie's Irish either until Baubs mentioned it a while ago. I wonder what he'd look like 'uncovered' so to speak. [​IMG]
    Wind is terrible here too, with intermitten torrential rain showers. And it's F cold. If I'd bought this weather I'd be demanding my money back.

19. And what is your beer of choice for the qualy, manny ? I'm getting in the spirit and drinking Stella Artoitoitoiseee.

Boddies tonight for the footy.

20. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I'm beerless at the moment, Baubs. Got a touch of the wine flu after last night... [​IMG]
    Tonight I think we shall be mostly having Old Speckled Hen. I haven't checked - is the footy
    on normal telly or will we be forced (yeh, right - 'forced' [​IMG]) to go down the pub to watch it?