1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nobody ever looks after me as headteacher

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Marshall, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I spend so much time praising everyone. Staff seem happy, no complaints, OFSTED questionnaire 100% positive. We are a good school (on the verge of outstanding) and nobody EVER gives me praise. I hate praise where it's not due but I would really like someone, somewhere to say thank you. Am I being unreasonable?

2. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Thank you.

needabreak likes this.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Why are you thanking me?

4. install

install Star commenter

I am not a Head, but years ago a wise Head told me to never expect praise or criticism in the work environment, and if it ever came along to think what had motivated it? And to always question it.

5. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I agree - BUT it's just good sometimes to get a thanks or a pat on the back. I hate effusive praise:(

6. install

install Star commenter

I am sorry - maybe spending time praising everyone has backfired in some way... or maybe it is worth checking others perceptions of you. Either way there must be someone you can talk to who knows how hard you have worked and your successes..

7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Do you mean the governors/your employers don't recognise your achievements? If so that is indeed a shame, just as it is for any staff lower down the hierarchy if they don't get recognition and it would indicate that your superiors might benefit from training on staff management so as to improve motivation and all the goodwill that benefits the school that go along with it.

In many cases of public sector jobs *assuming you are in a state school, it appears that it is almost a given that if you still have a job and aren't on competence/in special measures (RI), then you are doing it right... and frankly are doing well, or at least how your line manager/management want you to do it. I'm sure they are happy that things aren't going wrong under your watch even if they don't tell you so, since it saves them no end of grief.

8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I think most people would assume you are being paid enough to look after yourself.

install likes this.
  9. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I agree with you Marshall; I don't receive any praise either.
    I am just constantly criticised by governors and a few members of staff. I think I am seen by them as a robot with no feelings whatsoever because every thing is all about them.

10. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Your CoG has a key role in ensuring your achievements are recognised.
    Govs are meant to support as well as challenge - and sometimes they need reminding of that!

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It's often hard to praise one's headteacher without looking like a terrible brown-noser. :confused:

Could you maybe say to your staff in a staff meeting that you are having a tough time of it and would really appreciate the odd bit of praise here and there if they can manage it occasionally. Say it with a smile and a bit of humour and they might get the idea. If you are the same at work as you are on here, your staff will probably drive you mad for the next fortnight popping in to tell you all the good you do and thank you for it.

12. 2r2e

2r2e New commenter

This makes no sense.

veneris likes this.
  13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Do parents never thank you, or as others have said, do governors never express appreciation. What about your fellow headteachers or your deputy. Do you ever debrief eg after a meeting and give the deputy the chance to offer you praise or at least to say that something went well even if not personally praising you.

veneris likes this.
  14. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

It's a great shame when anyone isn't thanked or praised for the work they've done for others, whatever you have done. It is only common decency to thank people, but we live in an age when a thank you isn't something people come to expect. I, too, am only thanked occasionally.

15. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Whilst I don't go out of my way looking for praise I know that I am appreciated when staff ask how I am feeling and bring me cups of coffee. Its the little acts of kindness that you really appreciate.

Marshall and install like this.
  16. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

In my school, staff see the headteacher as someone to moan to and moan about; someone who has no feelings. Some members of staff are only concerned with their own feelings and their own agenda which doesn't include thanking others or appreciating everything you do.

I personally think asking for praise makes it then seems meaningless.

17. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Long, long ago my housemaster at school had a note above his desk:
    "When I am right no-one remembers. When I am wrong no-one forgets."

18. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Agree with earlier posts but feel sad / concerned that neither your DHT or COG ever say well done! I say it often & sincerely to my HT

alexanderosman likes this.
  19. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

You describe a succesful school - that must give you pleasure and pride . . . who did you want to say thank you . . . . those volunteer Governors who sit in meetings with you that you are paid to attend and they are not

When your staff are happy - that's what you must enjoy as thanks

When your OFSTED questionairre is 100% positive that IS thanks

You have to enjoy such things . . . . or there is nothing else

Laughing Gravy likes this.
  20. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Who are you expecting a 'thank you' from? You are the Headteacher, you are the manager. You should be thanking your staff (which you do). You should be getting the gratification that you KNOW you are a great leader, the school is successful. Is this not enough?