1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nobody cares": Headteacher takes young children out of education for a YEAR to travel the world

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Oct 20, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I find it fascinating that she finds it appropriate to tweet as she did. Giving the impression that nobody cares is irresponsible. The fact that she appears to have said that she is home schooling them is not the same as taking them out for a term time holiday. Attention seeker if you ask me. In some countries children do not start school until 7.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Link?

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

‘The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately, in England at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square.’

tonymars likes this.
  4. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Well, I don't care.

tonymars, nomad, Didactylos4 and 2 others like this.
  5. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

Neither do I.

nomad and InkyP like this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think they will have a wonderful time.

nomad, slingshotsally and InkyP like this.
  7. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4997962/Ex-headteacher-takes-children-school-world-trip.html

So she has taken her children off the roll of any school. This means the school and local authority attendance statistics are not affected.

She's a young HT with young children, a qualified teacher who will ensure that her children get their education whilst travelling for a year.

If I had the money, I'd do the same.

I really enjoy teaching "in the wild" or "free-schooling" a bit like forest school.

I don't know what the fuss is about, the children are young and they want more time with their children.

8. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

"the trip which started recently in a rented villa on sun-soaked The Palm, Dubai."
    Travel the world, LOL,

Pomz likes this.
  9. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Envy speaks.

10. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

No. Dubai is way off my bucket list of holiday destinations. Why on earth do people want to go to a sterile place of hideous buildings, built by slave labour, is a conservative Islamic state which locks up rape victims etc etc

zizzyballoon, Pomz, Dodros and 2 others like this.
  11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Is Dubai not in the world? The Palm strikes me as something you would need to see soon - like the Maldives, it doesn't seem very sustainable. I have a friend who went there and her pictures were amazing. The whole thing seems like a lesson in engineering, architecture and town planning. Absolutely not my idea of a holiday but for the first time, I could see an appeal to it.

12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Apart from the Dubai bit (have to agree with elledriver about that) I say good for her.
    If I had the money I might do the same.

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Dubai, Bahrain, Sri Lanka, Singapore, New Zealand, the Cook Islands, Argentina, Costa Rica, United States and Canada.

Sounds like an education to me.

Mind you, I would suggest exchanging Oman for Dubai, India for Bahrain and Malaysia for Singapore. Dubai, Bahrain and Singapore are all fairly culturally sterile. Dubai is now a holiday resort, Bahrain is a sandbank with an F1 circuit and Singapore is an enormous shopping mall.

A pity they haven't included any of the Indonesian islands.

Apart from that, I think the children would get far more out of the trip in seven or eight years time.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    drvs, lanokia and slingshotsally like this.
  14. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Better now than when the children are older, which might be more disruptive to their schooling. But a few thoughts do bother me. Why would a young headteacher do this, with no long term plans for her family? Her musings on what she might do next seem to hint of someone who has no intention of ever coming back to headteaching again, or am I wrong there? We moan a lot about young headteachers on these boards, because we know that leadership skills take time to hone. But when headteachers, like football managers, are quickly disposed of the minute that their school is in trouble, that must be particularly difficult for new and young headteachers. As someone has pointed out before, it's an awful long career with an awful lot of responsibilty when you start being a headteacher at a young age. Her old school has been academised and has not had its first Ofsted yet. I suspect that there is far more to this than meets the eye.

15. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

These are more likely to be long held dreams of the parents, IMO.

drvs, harsh-but-fair and nomad like this.
  16. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

She's sold up, sold her house, and is leaving the UK so UK education law is irrelevant and she isn't required to 'home school' her children. So she is surely correct that "nobody' - which she clearly says means no-one in UK officialdom - cares. They wouldn't, it's not in their power or remit to investigate the education of children who aren't UK residents and aren't in the UK. Why is saying that "irresponsible"?

They'll be interested when she returns to the UK though.

nomad likes this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Thank you...

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Got to agree with Nomad here... sounds far better than the straight jacket tosh of modern English education.

drvs and nomad like this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've become fascinated by a pyramid they've found near Jakarta that is being dated at 20,000 years old.

I so want to see it for myself.

20. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I have a few friends who have decided to do similar things, including a couple who took themselves and their families around the canal network in the UK.
    Two of their children went to Uni and did rather well for themselves, the third took an apprenticeship and, in monetary terms, did even better.

So I don't see any harm in this at all