1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No X, please - we're British!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

High Court refuses bid for gender-neutral passports

[​IMG]

'A campaigner has lost a High Court challenge calling on the government to provide gender-neutral passports.

Christie Elan-Cane wants passports to have an "X" category, which could be used by those who consider themselves neither fully male nor female.

The campaigner claimed the UK's passport process was "inherently discriminatory".

High Court judge Mr Justice Jeremy Baker refused to rule the government policy as unlawful.
    '
    BBC.co.uk, 22nd June 2018.

Sorry, ladies & gentlemen, but you'll have to continue being ladies & gentlemen for the foreseeable future.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I am just wondering if you have gender neutral passport whether you might be turned away in some states?
    Or the customs check to see what gender you are.....they are not all the same as this country.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

That was my first thought as well. Gender, just pick one and get on with it!

4. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

What about the airport facilities.
    If you are neither male nor female, which loo do you use?
    Just think of all the upheaval of building new loos

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

20 odd years ago my mate and I were in a local pub. The bloke next to me at the bar looked familiar. His name was Andy. So I spoke to him and tried to work out how I knew him. We were not at school nor had we been at college together. He was not a neighbour nor had we played sports as team mates or adversaries.We had not worked together. Puzzled I returned to my friend who had shared most of my life and should also have known this person. Yes he did know him, we had all been out socially several times, however when I had know him he was called Mandy!

6. Caoimhseach

Caoimhseach Lead commenter

A UK passport does not show the holder's gender. It only shows their sex.

7. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

Which must be really helpful for those who are intersex.