1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No work

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by thekillers1, Sep 6, 2016.

1. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

I was phoned at 8.50am by an agent, offering me a job that was almost an hour's drive away. :rolleyes:
    I didn't go!
    To be fair, it doesn't look that far on the map, but you're lucky to get beyond 10mph on the roads around here at rush hour.

thekillers likes this.
  2. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

When I first signed up with agencies a few years ago, there was one agency that kept phoning me up to go to schools in Greenwich. I am in Greater London on the borders with Essex. On the map it didn't look too far but there was a ruddy river in the way and it would have taken me forever. He was sooooo annoying that consultant, I ended up losing my rag with him, he just wouldn't take no for an answer. He lied about having contacts with schools in boroughs I wanted to work in just to get me to register:mad:.

thekillers and pepper5 like this.
  3. gingerhobo48

I've just read that again and it sounds like I'm being expected to swim across the Thames:D I can just about swim a width!!!

thekillers, Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Thanks les25paul. You have done well to have three days.

thekillers likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

From the sound of things - it does seem to be slowly picking up.

I confidently predicted a week or so back that this year would be better than last - hope I'm right.

thekillers and pepper5 like this.
  6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Gingerhobo48

Geography isn't a strong point for some consultants.Either they don't understand distances or don't care how you get to a school and some think people have helicopters.

thekillers and gingerhobo48 like this.
  7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Yes peakster, I sincerely hope those who need work get .

thekillers likes this.
  8. gingerhobo48

I think they just get a ruler out and think " yeah that should be o.k it's only 5 cms away":D:D:D.

wicked4u2 and pepper5 like this.
  9. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

Please don't despair people.... I think work is trickling in touch wood!!! Had lunch plans with a friend and half an hour before was called to cover a teacher who had gone home sick for the afternoon.... and now have a days work tomorrow. Really excited. The back to work feeling with no strings attached is grrrrreat!! :)

thekillers, pepper5 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  10. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Or they've watched too much sci-fi and think we can teleport...

pepper5 likes this.
  11. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

That'd be good! "School X in 10 seconds? No planning? No problem! Make it so!"
    (Mmmm....Jean-Luc Picard moment...I wouldn't say no!)

pepper5 likes this.
  12. gingerhobo48

First it was Ross Poldark, now it's Jean-Luc Picard, I don't watch either of those series but I think I know who you mean:). I think that Ross fella should put a shirt on , he seems such an exhibitionist and the other guy "Meh":D.

pepper5 likes this.
  13. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Well done yellow flower.YAY.

Enjoy your day.

yellowflower likes this.
  14. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I wonder? There are possibly thousands of NQTs looking for supply work after graduating - indeed, one lives near me and has a young family. They will probably work for less money and perhaps the agency can charge less too.
    Lots more supply teachers about, after a share of a shrinking cake.

thekillers likes this.
  15. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Especially with agen
    Especially when agencies say they need more teachers to recruit. Con artists!

16. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Friday. Tick, tock...will the phone ring today? Who knows?! Stay tuned in today's episode of Supplies on Demand :)

peter12171 likes this.
  17. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

Fingers crossed for everyone today! Come on phone, please ring!!

thekillers likes this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I seriously doubt there are thousands of NQT's looking for supply work - a few hundred at most scattered around the country.

pepper5, peter12171 and thekillers like this.
  19. bananatree84

I get the app for my agency and there is always loads of supply advertised but the phone never rings. Hmmm! 15 years ago I moved to a new town and went to temp agencies to look for an office job. They kept telling me there weren't any. I pointed to the window where lots of jobs were displayed and said could I not do one of those jobs. They admitted they were not actual jobs but "examples of the kind of jobs they might get". I reckon it is the same with supply agencies.

thekillers likes this.
  20. bananatree84

I am one of them lol!

thekillers likes this.