1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No work

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by thekillers1, Sep 6, 2016.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Yes, a very successful school I worked in had three 100 minute lessone every day. On the plus side the planning was reduced and you could do longer activities but if you had a class you didn't like it seemed like an age.

...and as you say Pepper I always felt the last 15-20 minutes of every lesson was wasted.

Lara mfl 05, thekillers and pepper5 like this.
  2. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

Now I am a teacher I have a huge admiration for my teachers when I did A level as they were 105 minutes long. They worked so hard to keep us engaged for that length of time! Must have been hard work.

Lara mfl 05, thekillers and pepper5 like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We have 50 minute lessons - no time to hang around.

Makes the day go very quickly.

thekillers likes this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I enjoy the 60 minute lessons best. I have been in schools that do 50, 60, 75, and 100 minute lessons.

Yes, if I had a class for 100 minutes that was unruly itmseemed like eternity.

60 minutes it just enough time to do a lesson and keep the students engaged before they get bored.

Lara mfl 05 and thekillers like this.
  5. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Fingers crossed for everyone again today.

yellowflower likes this.
  6. Chanteuse

Chanteuse Occasional commenter

Good luck for this morning everyone!

thekillers likes this.
  7. thekillers1

Still waiting...

8. thekillers1

...what a drag!

9. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

No work for me either!! Booooo!!!!

thekillers likes this.
  10. bananatree84

No call today. I am feeling a bit down I guess because today was cancelled so I feel I "should" be working today. Starting to feel bad that I am not supporting my family at the moment.

thekillers likes this.
  11. bananatree84

We need a "sympathy" button not just a "like" option.

yellowflower and thekillers like this.
  12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

It is still early days folks.

Bananatree84

Don't feel bad. You are doing the best you can just like everyone else.

If you do your best and are ready for work each day then you have done what you were supposed to do.

Next week should pick up.

13. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Nothing for me today, but not really expecting it. It is the start of the year, so there won't be much supply available. I did get some yesterday and I guess the agency will try to share out the limited supply at the moment to try to keep us on board. I know that's what I'd do!

14. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Wise words peter12171

I don't have much sympathy for agency consultants, but they must get people phoning them all day desperate for work. They are bound to be affected by it.

thekillers likes this.
  15. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

YAY

I have work for tomorrow at one of my favourite schools.

I am so grateful for work, but a bit nervous going back and hope I haven't forgotten what do do.

16. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Exactly how I felt yesterday...almost dreaded the call coming:eek:

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  17. Chanteuse

Chanteuse Occasional commenter

I *think* I'm working again tomorrow. She's going to call my consultant to confirm. 4 days this week puts me in a much less precarious financial situation. Lovely :D

pepper5 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  18. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

You will be great pepper:) It's good that it is at a school that you know and like.

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  19. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Thanks for your encouragement gingerhobo48. I am so nervous, but if I take it one class at a time, I should be fine.

Trusting everyone else who needs days gets them. Just one day and I feel so happy.

Happyregardless and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I've been very lucky and have had two days so far this week with another tomorrow, all at the same place.

Don't be nervous pepper I found that even after the long sumer break you will very quickly pick up where you left off.