1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No work

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by thekillers1, Sep 6, 2016.

1. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You too Chanteuse

Have a sparkling day.

2. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

No call for work today butttt I've been booked in for a day next week. Yay! It's only a day but I'm excited to get out there. Hang in there people.... work is starting to trickle in! :)

pepper5, les25paul and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Just had a (late) call for an afternoon's work. One 100 minute lesson.

4. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

No work for me today. I have a pre booked day tomorrow in a lovely reception class which I am so looking forward to. I am going to work my but off tomorrow so I will hopefully get invited back! Have a good afternoon Peter12171.

5. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Actually, the phone rang at 7.40 am for an all day supply day, plus another one booked for next week. I'm feeling more than great! :)

6. thekillers1

You too. Hope today's going well :)

agathamorse likes this.
  7. yellowflower

When I got the call today for a booking next week... I had actually dosed off. Thank God the booking wasn't for today or I would have been in a right state hahaha

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There's nothing worse that thinking you don't have anything for the day and then the phone goes. Sends you into a total flap especially if you're going to a school you haven't been to before.

9. yellowflower

For sure!!! What's worse is this would have been my first day as a supply ever....

10. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

If you do get a call, before you run out of the door, it's wise to check if the school really is "just 15 minutes' drive from here" as many agencies like to say. Ask for the school's postcode as soon as they offer the placement. Take care to read the AA journey planner as that gives you an estimated drive time (bearing in mind that it will be peak time). I had some trouble convincing one agency person that Great Yarmouth is nearly two hours away from where I live. Always take a minute to email back to the agency what they told you, verify the daily pay rate and then check the school's website to see that there are no parking restrictions on site.
    I once went to a new client school and found the gates locked. They had not notified the agency that the car park entrance and pedestrian access were along the same track so they closed the wide gate at 8.15 to avoid accidents and just had a narrow side gate for the kids. The road outside was all double yellow lines or resident only parking so by the time I had left the car running at the gate, run up to the school, found someone who could explain what was going on, got back to the car, driven a few streets away, run back to the school again, I was well and truly late. I had already rung the agency to let them know what was going on before the school could ask for a rebate. Try to be early but let your agency know if there are any obstacles. Keep your phone charged up and make sure you have the agency's number ready to dial.

11. yellowflower

Oh gosh.... well done for ploughing through that day!! Not a good start!!

agathamorse likes this.
  12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I have no sense of direction so it was always an issue for me if I had to find somewhere I've never been before.

13. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

I am so disappointed. The school i was meant to be at tomorrow cancelled. :-(

thekillers likes this.
  14. Chanteuse

Chanteuse Occasional commenter

Another day done! Phew, what a day. It was so warm the kids could hardly concentrate. I even had a free today :eek:. Cover manager at the school said she will probably need me tomorrow too - so I wasn't too bad :p

15. thekillers1

That was my previous day so hearts ♥ out to you

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. yellowflower

Oh noooo!!! I feel for you. That's so unfair.

thekillers and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Quite a nice return...one 100 minute lesson (far too long in my opinion) covering Media. Kids generally ok.

I was beginning to dread going back, after weeks out of the classroom, but it was fine.

bananatree84, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

I've had last minute cancellations too - it happens.
    You've just got to Keep Calm and Think of Ross Poldark! ;)

pepper5 likes this.
  19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The worst thing that happened to me was I lost AN ENTIRE HALF TERM'S work. I went for a half term contract, didn't think i'd got it - then was told I had. Then nothing.

Day before I was due to start got a very apologetic call from the agency saying thay had found someone else - sorry.

That was a blow - but a few days later and very unexpectedly I got a week's contract in a school I'd done a few days in. At the end of the week one of the other teachers in the department I was working in developed a serious eye infection and an initial week turned into virtually a full term.

The person they found to replace me at the other school lasted about three weeks.

20. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Sorry about the cancellation bananatree84, but perhaps you will get an early morning call.

Peter, I agree 100 minutes is too long;;after about 75 minutes classes start getting restless even if you are varying the activities. The only exception is cooking where you need time to set up, cook, and clean up without rushing.