1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

No work

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by thekillers1, Sep 6, 2016.

1. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

The weather here is proper King Lear - Blow winds and crack your cheeks! The cataracts and hurricanoes are spouting big time, I can tell you! :eek:

Lara mfl 05, pepper5 and les25paul like this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Still hot here and not a drop of rain in sight.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Been out on the bike this evening - lovely cycling conditions, not a breath of breeze.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. yellowflower

yellowflower Occasional commenter

I was really really really hoping for a call today from the agency about work tomorrow. Nothing!! :((( . You've all been helpful in saying this is the norm at this time of year but I just can't adjust!!

pepper5 likes this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Poor you yellow flower

It is very hard and I must admit I have had to fight a few worrying thoughts off today, bit it is Very early to be panicking yet. School has been in session for only 7 days. Take Lara's advice and have something planned to do in case youndont get a call: a walk into town, some studying, cleaning, visiting a friend, anything to keep your mind occupied so you don't stew. I have to take my own advice sometimes.

A lot of calls come early in the morning and are not pre-booked.

6. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

Alternatively, you can set the alarm early, get up, washed, have breakfast in bed - everything short of actually getting dressed - and await the call in bed.
    If the call comes - hurrah! - jump up, get dressed and you're off!
    If the call doesn't come, you just drop back off to sleep and so don't care! :D

7. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

Sounds like a good plan!

agathamorse, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. yellowflower

Pepper5 and lulu57 ... you have both made me feel sooo much better. Thankyou so much. You're right... I've been fighting niggling thoughts all day, silly things like... Maybe schools don't want me. Laughable I know haha! I'm going to take the advice for both of you and plan little things to do the next day I case there isn't work, thankyou!

agathamorse, pepper5 and thekillers like this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Believe me we've all had feelings like that. and no it's not at all laughable.

I remember when I'd been getting fairly regular work from one school and suddenly nothing for several months. I too wondered what had happened? Had I done something wrong? All sorts of thoughts went through my mind. Never did find out why, but as I did more and more supply I realised there can be so many reasons why suddenly one doesn't get repeat bookings and then out of the blue they'd phone again.

10. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Waiting for the phone call...

yellowflower likes this.
  11. yellowflower

Fingers crossed for all of us waiting!!!

Lara mfl 05, thekillers and pepper5 like this.
  12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Very wise words Lara mfl05

So many reasons why teachers don't get repeat bookings suddenly or not any work for a few days/weeks. It is the lack of communication between all the parties perhaps.

Moral of the story: Do not worry, since it is all usually nothing at all - just different circumstances and needs arising.

Have a sparkling and blessed day everyone no matter where you are or what you are doing.

13. thekillers1

...if nothing happens by 8.30am, I think a day in bed is a potential for choice.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. thekillers1

agathamorse and peter12171 like this.
  15. thekillers1

...ahhhhh!!! Ring, damn you phone.

16. thekillers1

Guess what? No work today. Bed time, again!!!

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Most school have only been back a week guys - it's very early days.

agathamorse, Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  18. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Still time for something. I always give until 8.30.

thekillers and pepper5 like this.
  19. thekillers1

Week 2 for us.

20. Chanteuse

Chanteuse Occasional commenter

Yeah, I didn't get the call til 8.15am yesterday. Luckily I knew I was working today so I'm fresher (I think)! Have a lovely day everyone

thekillers likes this.